Question PC is a lot slower after upgrading to i7-4790k

JellyTime

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
EDIT:
Well..This is awkard
im not sure the problem got fixed but i just tried to play a game again (just gonna mention i try to run a game multiple times..)
And it sorta worked flawless..
the temps is still on 52 on idle

Hey,
To start my specs -
i7-4790k (switched from i5-4460)
16GB of ram
GTX1060 6GB
H81M-HD3 motherboard
550w PSU
1 SSD and 2 HDD

So.. i switched to a USED 4790k today and it just giving troubles.. the temp is sorta ok.. i think.. its about 52 on idle..
it kinda jump up and down. I did checked multiple times if the thermal paste was placed currect and if the fan is fully touching the cpu and it was fine..
the thing is that now with the 4790k my pc is much slower.. even the 4460 was faster. And solutions you can think of?
i mean i cant even play games anymore since it take ages to load

Last edited:

JellyTime

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
Probably something wrong with cooling. 52 at idle is too high.

Did you clear CMOS after changing the CPU?
So i just removed the battery,returned it after 5 minutes or so.
when i booted up the pc it asked me if i want to use the default settings for the bios or something like that..
anyway there wasnt much options there. so i did it.
Now its idling at 72 degrees so..yeah

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I'd check with some other apps too and if temps are really that high at idle you'd need to clean the paste, reapply paste and reseat the cooler.

Is it a Intel stock cooler with plastic pegs? Those get loose sometimes and the cooler does not sit right on CPU.

JellyTime

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
I'd check with some other apps too and if temps are really that high at idle you'd need to clean the paste, reapply paste and reseat the cooler.

Is it a Intel stock cooler with plastic pegs? Those get loose sometimes and the cooler does not sit right on CPU.
No its not a stock cooler.. Its a zalman cnps 800t
Its pretty old tho.. Like 4 years at least