[SOLVED] PC is completely powered but will not boot to bios, power peripherals, or display monitors.

NelsonTheSmith

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2015
Like the title says. My PC has been running perfectly fine (for the most part) for about 5-6 years now. However, yesterday I bumped the case with my knee and got a blue screen. The computer shut down and any time I go to power it on all the lights and fans turn on but the HDD light on the case doesn't blink like normal and the computer won't even boot to the bios. I have already tried re-seating every single component, juggling ram (and booting with each stick individual in each possible tray), booting with only essential components, and clearing the CMOS. What other options do I have here?

AMD Ryzen 1700x
MSI GTX 1060
Asus Prime B350 Plus
2 x 8Gb Corsair Vengeance Ram
700W Cooler Master PSU
SanDisk 480GB SSD

For more detail, the GPU completely lights up and fans spin like normal, CPU cooler also spins like normal, lights on the MOBO come on like normal and I don't get any beeps whenever I try to power it on.

Solution
I would contact corsair at this point.
ask if they do advanced returns, they ship you new ones, charge you for the new sticks and when you return the old ones get refunded. if they do this it is usually faster than the standard return.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
no beeps? you have the speaker connected to the motherboard as described in step 17 here?
with the speaker connected and no beeps try to force a beep code. remove all the RAM and try to boot with no RAM. the motherboard should beep like a star wars character. the speaker is the main diagnostic feedback device.

NelsonTheSmith

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2015
no beeps? you have the speaker connected to the motherboard as described in step 17 here?
with the speaker connected and no beeps try to force a beep code. remove all the RAM and try to boot with no RAM. the motherboard should beep like a star wars character. the speaker is the main diagnostic feedback device.
Shouldn't an error code go through the onboard 3.5mm jack since it's directly on the motherboard? Or do I really need to go buy one of these little speakers. I have no issue doing that, they're very cheap. I just figured that since the audio port is literally on the motherboard that it would also provide diagnostic beeps if something was wrong.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Shouldn't an error code go through the onboard 3.5mm jack since it's directly on the motherboard? Or do I really need to go buy one of these little speakers. I have no issue doing that, they're very cheap. I just figured that since the audio port is literally on the motherboard that it would also provide diagnostic beeps if something was wrong.

no that device will require drivers to function and you cannot enable them pre-boot.

canned diagnostic speaker rant: speaker making 101
The diagnostic speaker is the motherboards main diagnostic feedback device.
the motherboard may be telling you where the problem is.
my speakers have this plug
hSpeakerSpringClip.jpg

I use lamp wire but any stranded wire will do. literally any stranded wires. strip one end like so
CordColors.jpg

attach the stripped end into the speaker spring clips on the speaker.
the other end of the wire should be trimmed like so the semi strip
cutwire.png
by doing a semi strip the wire case is now the socket.
plug one wire to the first pin, and the second onto the fourth pin.
power on the system and listen for beeps
end canned rant

NelsonTheSmith

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2015
no that device will require drivers to function and you cannot enable them pre-boot.

canned diagnostic speaker rant: speaker making 101
The diagnostic speaker is the motherboards main diagnostic feedback device.
the motherboard may be telling you where the problem is.
my speakers have this plug
hSpeakerSpringClip.jpg

I use lamp wire but any stranded wire will do. literally any stranded wires. strip one end like so
CordColors.jpg

attach the stripped end into the speaker spring clips on the speaker.
the other end of the wire should be trimmed like so the semi strip
cutwire.png
by doing a semi strip the wire case is now the socket.
plug one wire to the first pin, and the second onto the fourth pin.
power on the system and listen for beeps
end canned rant
I really appreciate the in depth response. My speakers don't have those plugs unfortunately. Is my best bet to order one of these MOBO speakers off amazon and try to solve the issue that way? Or does somewhere like BestBuy carry them?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
if you cannot "bodge" something together getting a buzzer is the best thing. the frankenspeaker is good for emergency testing a buzzer will stay put.
best buy may have them. IDK for sure, try the "repair" center there. they may have some sitting around.

NelsonTheSmith

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2015
stick with 1 thread
My computer started messing up about 3 days ago. I have tried reseating all the components, clearing the CMOS, shuffling the ram into different slots and trying to boot with individual sticks of ram to no avail. I just got a motherboard speaker and with everything seated in my PC I get an error code that is 1 long 2 short beeps not repeating. I checked and ASUS says that it is most likely an anomaly with my RAM but I read somewhere else that it is a video related issue. If any of you could help me with some clarification on this I would greatly appreciate it. I am trying to avoid buying multiple parts if I don't need to.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 1700x
MSI GTX 1060
Asus Prime B350 Plus
2 x 8Gb Corsair Vengeance Ram
700W Cooler Master PSU
SanDisk 480GB SSD

NelsonTheSmith

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2015
if you cannot "bodge" something together getting a buzzer is the best thing. the frankenspeaker is good for emergency testing a buzzer will stay put.
best buy may have them. IDK for sure, try the "repair" center there. they may have some sitting around.
I got a MOBO speaker and I am getting an error of 1 long beep and 2 short beeps (not repeating) with both sticks of ram in and both removed. Booting with the sticks of ram individually does not give me an error but still does not boot the computer.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the beep response from the motherboard indicates the mobo is working properly.
the 1 long 2 short is a memory error. you get the beeps when the both RAM is inserted and with no RAM, but no beeps with a single stick?
have you tried the other RAM slots?

NelsonTheSmith

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2015
the beep response from the motherboard indicates the mobo is working properly.
the 1 long 2 short is a memory error. you get the beeps when the both RAM is inserted and with no RAM, but no beeps with a single stick?
have you tried the other RAM slots?
I just tried them in about every imaginable setup, booting each stick individually in each slot still gave me the same beeps and booting both sticks in varying slots also gave me the same. At this point should I assume that something happened to the ram and reorder new sticks?

NelsonTheSmith

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2015
they should be under warranty. testing with another set or known working single stick would be the next step.
I really appreciate all your help with this. I don't have any other sticks currently that would work with my MOBO. Is my best bet to contact Corsair and check about the warranty/buy new ones? Are there any other issues that could be causing this problem you could think of?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I would contact corsair at this point.
ask if they do advanced returns, they ship you new ones, charge you for the new sticks and when you return the old ones get refunded. if they do this it is usually faster than the standard return.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS