PC is consistently having issues with internet every few minutes.

hawkguide192

Prominent
Dec 19, 2017
I'm currently using a Netgear A6210 to pick up the connection. I'm only 15 feet away from the router. It goes out every few minutes. I have to either go to the bottom right and disconnect/reconnect, or unplug the adapter and plug it back in. I can't play a game or download anything. Although, one day I was looking and saw I still had an upload speed, but no download speed. This issue just started after moving, so I believe it just isn't my computer. I have the gateway from Xfinity (which is what I had before). Everything is exactly the same as before moving. Same Xfinity setup and same PC setup. I've looked around for similar issues on these forums and nothing has fixed this.

Solution
Take a look at all of the incoming cable connections via Xfinity. Do so safely without climbing on roofs, poles, etc..

Check all cables, splitters, wall outlets, etc. to ensure that all fully and firmly in place. Look for signs of damage, corrosion, chew marks, staples/nail penetrations and so forth.

Splitters can be quite problematic. However, sometimes just disconnecting the cables, cleaning out dirt and moisture, will make a difference.

Do you have admin rights to your router? If so check the router's logs if available and enabled.

Ralston18

Titan
Netgear A6210 = USB adapter - correct? How old?

Does the adapter feel very warm or even hot?

Try using the adapter via an USB extension cable to move the adapter up and away from your computer.

Carefully feel the adapter before playing or downloading. Continue temperature checking the adapter as you go. At the time performance drops check the adapter again. May be noticeably hot.

Let the adapter cool and repeat the testing.

May well be that the adapter has started to fail or is near EOL due to heating and cooling cycles.

hawkguide192

Prominent
Dec 19, 2017
Hmm. Yes. It's less than 2 years old. Maybe 1 and a 1/2. I left my PC on and went and watched a movie on tv. Now that you mention it, it was mildy warm when I came back. Nothing serous, but you could feel a little warmth. I had nothing opened or running while I was gone. I'll play over night and let you know how the testing goes.

Ralston18

Titan
"Mildly warm" - subjective but understandable and likely okay.

And a baseline sense of the temperature when the adapter has, for the most part, been idle....

However, you must do as you normally do (i.e., play games, download) and then check the adapter's temperature.

If "overnight" is the next step then go for it.

Ralston18

Titan
Take a look at all of the incoming cable connections via Xfinity. Do so safely without climbing on roofs, poles, etc..

Check all cables, splitters, wall outlets, etc. to ensure that all fully and firmly in place. Look for signs of damage, corrosion, chew marks, staples/nail penetrations and so forth.

Splitters can be quite problematic. However, sometimes just disconnecting the cables, cleaning out dirt and moisture, will make a difference.

Do you have admin rights to your router? If so check the router's logs if available and enabled.

Solution

hawkguide192

Prominent
Dec 19, 2017
I don't see any damage.

I checked the system/event logs...nothing seemed out of the ordinary...however the firewall logs seems like it could be the issue, but I'm no expert.

FW.IPv6 FORWARD drop , 1409 Attempts, 2017/12/21 22:47:59 Firewall Blocked
FW.IPv6 INPUT drop , 20 Attempts, 2017/12/21 01:16:16 Firewall Blocked
FW.IPv6 FORWARD drop , 925 Attempts, 2017/12/20 23:30:42 Firewall Blocked
FW.IPv6 INPUT drop , 2 Attempts, 2017/12/20 16:54:43 Firewall Blocked
FW.IPv6 FORWARD drop , 1865 Attempts, 2017/12/19 23:09:54 Firewall Blocked
FW.IPv6 INPUT drop , 35 Attempts, 2017/12/19 22:52:05 Firewall Blocked
FW.IPv6 FORWARD drop , 1707 Attempts, 2017/12/18 22:49:33 Firewall Blocked
FW.IPv6 INPUT drop , 18 Attempts, 2017/12/18 19:21:22 Firewall Blocked

hawkguide192

Prominent
Dec 19, 2017
Yes it does. It's exactly the same before and I always used IPV6. Although, with the firewall throwing all those errors I tested it further with some of those ipv6 test sites. It always said my ipv6 was 10/10...and that it would show my ipv6 address, that my ISP had it, and that I would connect to all the sites using ipv6. However, it seemed 100% of the time it would go out shortly after and I"d have to disconnect/reconnect. I'll disable it and let you know. If it is ipv6 is this an issue where I should I call comcast for a new box?

Jun 16, 2021
Some of your (or someone elses) devices is trying to connect to your WiFi. It may be you or your neighbour so the best solution is to hide your network from the list and when you want to connect or reconnect, type manualy the name and pass. If you hide it, you should see the difference.