Question PC is dead after some wire management

SlamBeast

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019
Two days ago I installed a Strix 2080 ti into my rig. Overclocked it and played for a couple hours, turned the pc off at night and everything was fine.
The next day I wanted to do some cable management, cleaning, and fan swapping. I unplugged my mobo, cpu and gpu cable. swapped some old corsair fans with some newer ones and plugged everything back in.
One different thing I did plugging things back in was use 2x 6+2 pin cables instead of the 1 8pin with 2 heads cable that I was using (I heard using 2 cables is better than 1 for a 2080 ti) and I plugged the 8 pin ends into the gpu and the 6+2 ends in the PSU just because I thought it looked cleaner.
Also I accidentally connected my CPU with a type 4 pcie cable ( i didnt notice because it fit on just fine)
When I went to power it up I got nothing. No smoke, no smell, not a blip of any sort. I figured I just didnt plug something in. Then I saw the type 4 pcie cable plugged into the CPU header and at that point I got worried.
I did the paperclip test and my PSU is dead I got another PSU coming on monday but I'm wondering if I killed everything.
Does it even matter which end of the 8pin 6+2 cable I plug into the gpu? both ends seem to fit. You think plugging the type 4 into my CPU header would destroy everything?

PSU: Corsair RM750X Gold
MOBO: Strix X370-F AMD
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700X
GPU: Strix 2080 ti

I did the paperclip test and my PSU is dead I got another PSU coming on monday but I'm wondering if I killed everything.

Before you paperclipped the PSU, did you flip the switch on the back to the off position and unplug it, then plug it back in and turn it back on?

Short circuit protection will "latch" the PSU into a protection mode that requires a hard reset.

Does it even matter which end of the 8pin 6+2 cable I plug into the gpu?

Yes, it matters. Because the wires aren't one-to-one.

SlamBeast

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019
Before you paperclipped the PSU, did you flip the switch on the back to the off position and unplug it, then plug it back in and turn it back on?

Short circuit protection will "latch" the PSU into a protection mode that requires a hard reset.

Yes, it matters. Because the wires aren't one-to-one.
Yeah I flipped the power button on the PSU off then on again. unless it has some reset button I dont know about.

SlamBeast

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019
Both of those connections are wrong and both will damage your hardware.
8pin end goes into PSU, 6+2 goes into GPU.
PCIE 8pin plug will not go into CPU 12V connector without excessive force.
welp hopefully my GPU survived this. The rest of the stuff is easily replaceable. Im going to a friends house tonight with my GPU to test it.

SlamBeast

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019
Update. It was only my PSU that was damaged. Everything else survived and is up and running with a different PSU.
The Type 4 connector that I accidentally plugged in to my CPU was from a previous EVGA PSU that I had. Didnt realize that Corsair and EVGA used different connectors.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Update. It was only my PSU that was damaged. Everything else survived and is up and running with a different PSU.
The Type 4 connector that I accidentally plugged in to my CPU was from a previous EVGA PSU that I had. Didnt realize that Corsair and EVGA used different connectors.

Also, don't switch around cables to look cleaner because the ends are not identical. The end that goes into the PSU always goes into the PSU. You were very lucky considering you did multiple things that could destroy your expensive parts.

Reactions: gn842a

That's quite odd considering EVGA PSU cables don't say "Type 4" on them. "Type 4" specifically means it's a Corsair cable.

But glad it's all working now.

Reactions: SlamBeast

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016

THE WIRES THAT COME WITH THE PSU GET USED WITH THE PSU. ANYTHING ELSE MIGHT KILL YOUR GEAR.

I swapped a Seasonic 850W for a Seasonic 1300 W in my build today. The manual said Seasonic cables were good with each other. I didn't trust it. I pulled out each cable and boxed them up with the 850W psu and then did a fresh psu, fresh cable install.

It drives me nuts that OEMs are not more out front about the dangers of mix and match modular cables.

You're lucky. I made this mistake and fried my peripherals, ended up building a new PC which has consumed not just cash but tons of time. A huge lot of aggro because one day I got the idea that it would be good to install a new psu (and use the modular cables already zip tied in because it would save time - NOT).

Reactions: SlamBeast

SlamBeast

Reputable
Jul 26, 2019
That's quite odd considering EVGA PSU cables don't say "Type 4" on them. "Type 4" specifically means it's a Corsair cable.

But glad it's all working now.
True I used to have a CX650 and I think the type3 was from that. seems Like everything Corsair has is type 4 now. I just got my RM850x and that came with a bag of type 4. so ofc thats what im using this time around.

Reactions: gn842a