[SOLVED] PC Is "Dead" with GPU in and Turns On/Off Repeatedly with a GPU Plugged In

Oct 3, 2020
Hello everyone!

I have had a pc that I built about a year ago that's just been sitting here. I never used it a single time since it was put together until my attempts now. I was going to try to sell it, but I have ran into a couple issues.

System Specs:
CPU: i3-6100
GPU: GTX 960 2Gb
Mobo: MSI H310M Arctic Gaming
Ram: 1x8gb ddr4 3000mhz
PSU: CoolerMaster MasterWatt 650
SSD: 120gb PNY
No operating system.

First, I attempted to turn on the PC but it didn't turn on. The only indicator that the system was receiving power is that the ethernet LED on the back was lit up. I wasn't sure what to do so I unplugged the GPU to see if there would be any signal (I don't believe my CPU has integrated graphics so I don't know why this would have mattered but I did it anyway). Weirdly enough every fan started to spin (except of course the GPU). Except, now my pc continuously turns on and off in intervals of about 3 seconds. Nothing boots and nothing even attempts to show on my monitor. When the pc is "booting" the debug LED lights up the CPU first with a white color, then quickly moves onto the DRAM with yet another white color. A second later the LED jumps back to the CPU and then the whole system shuts off. Repeat.

I have tested the GPU in another system and it works flawlessly. Though I attempted to move my main system's GPU (a Zotac 1070 8Gb mini) into the problem-rig to see if it would matter. Sadly it did not as the same issues came up.

Would it be that my PSU is faulty?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I did attempt to move my main SSD that contains Windows 10 64-bit into the faulty-rig but there was no difference in issues.

Last edited:
Solution
After a lot more testing and switching around components I finally found out that I was having issues with my PSU, which for some reason wasn't working when the GPU was plugged in. I also found out that my CPU is dead. I installed a new PSU and CPU and everything turned on like normal. My problem is finally solved, but I'm still not sure why the GPU caused my system to not even respond. That's something I've never heard of before.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hello everyone!

I have had a pc that I built about a year ago that's just been sitting here. I never used it a single time since it was put together until my attempts now. I was going to try to sell it, but I have ran into a couple issues.

System Specs:
CPU: i3-2100
GPU: GTX 960 2Gb
Mobo: MSI H310M Arctic Gaming
Ram: 1x8gb ddr4 3000mhz
PSU: CoolerMaster MasterWatt 650
SSD: 120gb PNY
No operating system.

First, I attempted to turn on the PC but it didn't turn on. The only indicator that the system was receiving power is that the ethernet LED on the back was lit up. I wasn't sure what to do so I unplugged the GPU to see if there would be any signal (I don't believe my CPU has integrated graphics so I don't know why this would have mattered but I did it anyway). Weirdly enough every fan started to spin (except of course the GPU). Except, now my pc continuously turns on and off in intervals of about 3 seconds. Nothing boots and nothing even attempts to show on my monitor. When the pc is "booting" the debug LED lights up the CPU first with a white color, then quickly moves onto the DRAM with yet another white color. A second later the LED jumps back to the CPU and then the whole system shuts off. Repeat.

I have tested the GPU in another system and it works flawlessly. Though I attempted to move my main system's GPU (a Zotac 1070 8Gb mini) into the problem-rig to see if it would matter. Sadly it did not as the same issues came up.

Would it possibly be my PSU being faulty?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I did attempt to move my main SSD that contains Windows 10 64-bit into the faulty-rig but there was no difference in issues.

The CPU has integrated graphics.

Can you verify your specs? An i3-2100 does not run -- or even fit -- in an H310M motherboard.

Oct 3, 2020
After a lot more testing and switching around components I finally found out that I was having issues with my PSU, which for some reason wasn't working when the GPU was plugged in. I also found out that my CPU is dead. I installed a new PSU and CPU and everything turned on like normal. My problem is finally solved, but I'm still not sure why the GPU caused my system to not even respond. That's something I've never heard of before.

Solution