PC is in a turn on/turn off loop even after changing RAM

Wazawaza

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014
Hello everyone,
I'm having this issue for the last few months: sometimes my pc just turned off randomly but came back on again. Two weeks ago it entered in this reboot loop and I couldn't use my pc any longer.
I removed the mobo battery: did nothing; I did a clear cmos: did nothing.
I then removed both ram sticks and the mobo made a warning beep. I then tried with only one stick of ram and found out that the problem stopped with only one stick of 4 gb placed in the slot furthest to the cpu.
I therefore assumed the ram had gone defective, contacted kingston to ask if the warranty was still good, which they confirmed and replaced both sticks without any problem.
Having received the new ram, I installed it and the problem came back... but now none of the sticks work.
I removed the gpu and didn't solve the problem.
I am really confused and can't tell what is the real problem:
- is the new ram defective?
- is the mobo defective?
and so on with the rest of the components.

This computer is rather old, having bought it around 7 years ago. I have been suspecting the mobo for a long time.
If you have any idea of what might be the problem, I would be very grateful for any information whatsoever.

Thank you for reading,
Cheers

My rig:
CPU - Q9550 quad core (fsb of 1333mhz)
mobo: asrock g41m-gs3
ram: kingston 2x4 gb
GPU: AMD HD6950 Sapphire
Hdd: toshiba 1giga 5400rpm
power supply: don't know the brand but it's 420watts

Solution
Make sure all wires/cables are connected properly. Make sure the CPU is mounted evenly (remount if necessary).

PSU possibly faulty. Try another known working PSU. Borrow a PSU from a friend or neighbor etc if necessary.

If systems works OK after trying other PSU, then the 420 W PSU is faulty.

If system still doesn't work properly, then this suggests the motherboard is faulty.
Make sure all wires/cables are connected properly. Make sure the CPU is mounted evenly (remount if necessary).

PSU possibly faulty. Try another known working PSU. Borrow a PSU from a friend or neighbor etc if necessary.

If systems works OK after trying other PSU, then the 420 W PSU is faulty.

If system still doesn't work properly, then this suggests the motherboard is faulty.

Solution