[SOLVED] PC is making a quiet rattling noise.

Apr 20, 2020
I build a PC around a week ago and today I had been playing on it for about 15 minutes when I noticed a quiet rattling noise coming from it. I knew it was from the PC but I couldn't locate it. When I turned off the PC the noise went away, so it was definitely the PC.

Solution
Take the side panel off. Roll up a piece of thick paper or cardboard, or use a long funnel if you have one, and put the small end in your ear and use the large end to isolate where the sound is coming from. You'll need to identify WHERE, EXACTLY, the sound is coming from before anybody can make any recommendations on getting rid of it. You may even be able to identify where it is coming from by simply taking the side panel off and simply listening, with your head close to the case.

In other cases you might need to use something like a mechanics stethescope or a long screwdriver, which you can use to put up against the frame of each fan, or the graphics card, or the CPU cooler, or the PSU, to determine which of them is causing the...
Take the side panel off. Roll up a piece of thick paper or cardboard, or use a long funnel if you have one, and put the small end in your ear and use the large end to isolate where the sound is coming from. You'll need to identify WHERE, EXACTLY, the sound is coming from before anybody can make any recommendations on getting rid of it. You may even be able to identify where it is coming from by simply taking the side panel off and simply listening, with your head close to the case.

In other cases you might need to use something like a mechanics stethescope or a long screwdriver, which you can use to put up against the frame of each fan, or the graphics card, or the CPU cooler, or the PSU, to determine which of them is causing the noise. There are no moving parts in any PC except for the fans, so it MUST be a fan causing the noise. Whether it's because of a faulty fan or something loose/not secured, you'll have to determine once you figure out WHAT is making the noise.

Solution
Apr 20, 2020

In other cases you might need to use something like a mechanics stethescope or a long screwdriver, which you can use to put up against the frame of each fan, or the graphics card, or the CPU cooler, or the PSU, to determine which of them is causing the noise. There are no moving parts in any PC except for the fans, so it MUST be a fan causing the noise. Whether it's because of a faulty fan or something loose/not secured, you'll have to determine once you figure out WHAT is making the noise.
Thanks for the reply. I'll try this out tomorrow and see if I can isolate it.

TRENDING THREADS