Question PC is not coming back from sleep mode, even after restarting

lapartman

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
So my PC wouldn't come back from sleep mode (when the monitor just goes black but the fans are still spinning and the computer still makes noise etc.) no matter what keys I pressed, so I turned it off by holding down the power key, tried turning it back on, I only get the ASUS logo when switching the monitor on, but besides that, nothing. The LED on the monitor stays orange, even though it's supposed to turn blue when I turn on the computer.

- A few hours before this I changed the settings that the computer would never enter hibernate mode, but kept the setting to enter sleep mode after 10 minutes of idling.

- I tried replugging the cables, I was also suspicious of the video card so I took it out, put it back on, tried plugging the monitor's cable into the other DVI port on the video card, also tried plugging the monitor's cable into the motherboard's DVI slot, in an attempt to run it on the integrated Intel HD2500 graphics in case the video card died, but nothing would work.

- Also turning on/off the monitor itself, so basically every trivial stuff you could think of.

- Definitely wasn't caused by the GPU/CPU overheating, I bought a CPU cooler a few years back and it wouldn't go higher than 60 celsius degrees. My GPU is a Gigabyte GTX970 G1 so no problems with overheating there either.

- I've seen questions similiar to mine on different forums, but those people were able to access their computers once they restarted it, but I can't. Just a black screen and that's it. It's like the monitor doesn't get the message that the computer is turned on (the fans are spinning and there is noise)

I literally have no idea what to do now. My last guess is testing the monitor so I will be taking it to my friend to see whether it works with his computer. Or something could be wrong with the motherboard too.

Any ideas?

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
Try pulling the rear plug out for a few minutes to allow memory to clear. Then replug it and try a restart. Also if that dosnt work, turn off computer,pull memory sticks out then reseat them and try restart.

lapartman

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
Try pulling the rear plug out for a few minutes to allow memory to clear. Then replug it and try a restart. Also if that dosnt work, turn off computer,pull memory sticks out then reseat them and try restart.

You mean the rear plug from the computer that goes into thw monitor? If yes, I've already tried plugging out/replugging everything.

Yup, already tried the memory sticks too. I forgot to mention that part.

Jan 24, 2019
Make sure your PC is responsive after waking up, it is possibly frozen. I installed Teamviewer on my PC and when it does not wake up and fans are running, I try to connect via Teamviewer on my iPhone, and guess what? PC is offline on Teamviewer. This is happening after Windows 10 1809 update, that is a big problem and it is not yet solved in the latest preview release. Go back to 1803 if possible.

lapartman

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
Make sure your PC is responsive after waking up, it is possibly frozen. I installed Teamviewer on my PC and when it does not wake up and fans are running, I try to connect via Teamviewer on my iPhone, and guess what? PC is offline on Teamviewer. This is happening after Windows 10 1809 update, that is a big problem and it is not yet solved in the latest preview release. Go back to 1803 if possible.

That's nice. But I suggest you read the whole question first. How do I access my PC if I can't even see anything on the monitor? Not even the BIOS, nothing. I turn on the PC and the monitor behaves like it's turned off.

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
Tyr pulling the battery out of motherboard wait few minutes and try restart. Just so I understand what is going on are you getting any trouble lights on motherboard I.E. memory yellow light etc?

Jan 24, 2019
That's nice. But I suggest you read the whole question first. How do I access my PC if I can't even see anything on the monitor? Not even the BIOS, nothing. I turn on the PC and the monitor behaves like it's turned off.

Oh I thought your PC does not wake up from sleep mode and you can turn it off and back on.

Try to boot from a Windows installation USB/DVD, so that you can enter the repair mode.

Try Shift+F8 after boot to enter repair mode. You must enable legacy boot if you're on UEFI.

lapartman

Prominent
Feb 16, 2019
Oh I thought your PC does not wake up from sleep mode and you can turn it off and back on.

Try to boot from a Windows installation USB/DVD, so that you can enter the repair mode.

Try Shift+F8 after boot to enter repair mode. You must enable legacy boot if you're on UEFI.

Of course! As soon as you explain to me how am I going to boot from a USB stick or DVD if I can't even access BIOS or anything at all?