[SOLVED] Pc is not starting up

bjvink

Commendable
Dec 5, 2018
Hey guys, i suddenly have this problem since today. I turned off my pc yesterday and it wont boot up anymore, it just says “no signal” on my screen. I have had this pc for around 2 years and all the components are 2 years old, I built it myself. When I turn the pc on I cant shut it off with the power button and also cant use the reboot button. I tested the power supply and it works. My cpu fan turns on and the fans in my gpu turn on also. I checked all my cables if They were in all the way. Do you guys know what is going on? Is this a broken MOBO? There are no weird Burns etc in the pc. Its also not my monitor confirmed with different cable and tv.

Solution
Do you have access to a volt meter, can borrow one or purchase a cheap basic one, etc.?

This is how you test a bit more extensively, and that would be a good idea as the Thermaltake Smart series units are actually not very good, and are very much prone to early failures when used in gaming systems.

Please list your EXACT hardware specifications including all model AND sub-model (Or part) numbers.

CPU, motherboard, memory kit, graphics card, power supply, CPU cooler and in cases where cooling may potentially be a factor please also list the case model, number of case fans, WHERE each case fan is located and how each case fan is ORIENTED, as intake (In) or exhaust (Out) for EACH fan location.

Please do NOT respond with "500w PSU", for example, when listing your power supply model. If you don't know or cannot supply the exact model number for a given part, then at the very least supply the brand, series and any other information that you DO know about it.

bjvink

Commendable
Dec 5, 2018
Please list your EXACT hardware specifications including all model AND sub-model (Or part) numbers.

CPU, motherboard, memory kit, graphics card, power supply, CPU cooler and in cases where cooling may potentially be a factor please also list the case model, number of case fans, WHERE each case fan is located and how each case fan is ORIENTED, as intake (In) or exhaust (Out) for EACH fan location.

Please do NOT respond with "500w PSU", for example, when listing your power supply model. If you don't know or cannot supply the exact model number for a given part, then at the very least supply the brand, series and any other information that you DO know about it.
Ryzen 5 2600 (standard cooler)
gtx1070 gigabyte
4x4gb ddr4 hyperx 2666mhz ram
asrock b450m pro4
thermaltake smart rgb 600watt psu
1tb hdd and 120gb m.2 ssd
3x arctic 120mm intake fans (in the front) and 2x arctic 120mm exhaust (top) and 1x 120mm standard case fan exhaust (back)

bjvink

Commendable
Dec 5, 2018
What does this MEAN? Tested it HOW? Tested it with WHAT? If by "testing" you mean that it powered on using a paper clip or other jumper, that is not testing.

Try taking out two of the DIMMs, leaving only the DIMMs in the second and fourth (A2 and B2) slots, and see if there is any change.
i thought that paperclip testing would be sufficient but ok, then i havent tested it

Do you have access to a volt meter, can borrow one or purchase a cheap basic one, etc.?

This is how you test a bit more extensively, and that would be a good idea as the Thermaltake Smart series units are actually not very good, and are very much prone to early failures when used in gaming systems.

Solution

bjvink

Commendable
Dec 5, 2018
What does this MEAN? Tested it HOW? Tested it with WHAT? If by "testing" you mean that it powered on using a paper clip or other jumper, that is not testing.

Try taking out two of the DIMMs, leaving only the DIMMs in the second and fourth (A2 and B2) slots, and see if there is any change.
will get back to you

after disassembly of whole pc and putting it back together and using slots 2 and 4 it works again, will try with 4 sticks. will get back to you

👍

This happens from time to time, although it is USUALLY at first build that we see this, and reconstructing the build often resolves the issue. For a system that was already working normally, it is a bit more unusual unless something was not originally well seated or something is becoming faulty.

bjvink

Commendable
Dec 5, 2018
👍

This happens from time to time, although it is USUALLY at first build that we see this, and reconstructing the build often resolves the issue. For a system that was already working normally, it is a bit more unusual unless something was not originally well seated or something is becoming faulty.
Thanks for the help mate, put 4 in and is running well

IF it happens again, try booting into the BIOS with only two DIMMs as before, but increase the DRAM voltage by .005 (Or whatever the smallest increment it will allow increases by is) and then save settings, exit BIOS and shut down. Install the other two DIMMs and then power on the system. In fact, it wouldn't be the worst idea to simply do that now.

While that IS a decent quality budget motherboard, it IS a budget entry level board, and doesn't have exceptional memory power phase or VRMs. Ryzen often struggles with four DIMMs installed, so a small increase in DRAM voltage may help to better stabilize it. Also, in the BIOS there may be a setting for the DRAM training voltage (What it is actually called, on that motherboard, might be different, so a little investigation might be required on your part. Often this is called DRAM boot voltage) that is set to something other than what the actual DRAM voltage is set to and you might want to set that DRAM training voltage to the same voltage that you have the actual DRAM voltage set to.

You might also have to experiment with the SOC (Memory controller) voltage as well. As I said, four DIMM configurations are often problematic on Ryzen systems, especially above 2933mhz but at any speed there is potential for problems especially on lower end motherboards. Ryzen also has problems in MANY cases with running four DIMMs unless you up the DRAM voltage, and even then sometimes.

Last edited:

bjvink

Commendable
Dec 5, 2018
IF it happens again, try booting into the BIOS with only two DIMMs as before, but increase the DRAM voltage by .005 (Or whatever the smallest increment it will allow increases by is) and then save settings, exit BIOS and shut down. Install the other two DIMMs and then power on the system. In fact, it wouldn't be the worst idea to simply do that now.

While that IS a decent quality budget motherboard, it IS a budget entry level board, and doesn't have exceptional memory power phase or VRMs. Ryzen often struggles with four DIMMs installed, so a small increase in DRAM voltage may help to better stabilize it. Also, in the BIOS there may be a setting for the DRAM training voltage (What it is actually called, on that motherboard, might be different, so a little investigation might be required on your part. Often this is called DRAM boot voltage) that is set to something other than what the actual DRAM voltage is set to and you might want to set that DRAM training voltage to the same voltage that you have the actual DRAM voltage set to.

You might also have to experiment with the SOC (Memory controller) voltage as well. As I said, four DIMM configurations are often problematic on Ryzen systems, especially above 2933mhz but at any speed there is potential for problems especially on lower end motherboards.
Will try this thanks, my motherboards limit for 4 slots is 2133mhz so I don’t know if it will struggle that much with that. I have had this configuration for about 8 months or so (with the 4 DIMM slots filled that is) will I also get a performance boost with these settings?

Actually, your motherboards 4 DIMM speed limit depends on the CPU in use and whether the memory kit consists of all single rank, all dual rank or a mixture of single and dual rank DIMMs. Since only DIMMs that come together in one kit SHOULD be used, then mixture configurations should be eliminated. For four Dual rank DIMM configurations with a Pinnacle ridge CPU on that motherboard, the maximum supported speed SHOULD be 2666mhz but that depends on having all four DIMMs having come in one kit, all four DIMMs being dual rank and probably also all four DIMMs being B-die or other high end memory.

What is the exact model of your memory kit and did all four DIMMs come together in a single kit or is it multiple kits being used together? Multiple kits includes two kits of the same model. If all the memory did not come together in a single kit, then it is a mixed memory configuration.

bjvink

Commendable
Dec 5, 2018
Actually, your motherboards 4 DIMM speed limit depends on the CPU in use and whether the memory kit consists of all single rank, all dual rank or a mixture of single and dual rank DIMMs. Since only DIMMs that come together in one kit SHOULD be used, then mixture configurations should be eliminated. For four Dual rank DIMM configurations with a Pinnacle ridge CPU on that motherboard, the maximum supported speed SHOULD be 2666mhz but that depends on having all four DIMMs having come in one kit, all four DIMMs being dual rank and probably also all four DIMMs being B-die or other high end memory.

What is the exact model of your memory kit and did all four DIMMs come together in a single kit or is it multiple kits being used together? Multiple kits includes two kits of the same model. If all the memory did not come together in a single kit, then it is a mixed memory configuration.
It’s 2 kits of the same sort so 2 separate 2x4gb kits. I have searched them up but can’t find them anymore. I don’t think they sell them.

bjvink

Commendable
Dec 5, 2018

Do I have to change my configuration? Or will I get a massive performance boost if I buy a 2x8gb kit at higher clock speeds?

Massive? No. There are no massive gains to be had from the memory configuration when comparing low versus high, no matter what you are comparing.

Moderate? Significant? Noticeable? Snappier? Observable? Yes. These are all realistic descriptions of what you could expect going from 2133mhz to 2666mhz, in some cases, especially if it's a kit with a very low latency or good chips that are able to allow the timings to be tightened down a bit. But truthfully, your 2nd Gen CPU is the biggest bottleneck to performance gains on your system because it is itself somewhat slow when it comes to single core performance AND it doesn't support high memory speeds well or at all in many cases.

Moving to a Ryzen 3000 or 5000 series CPU at some point, plus a faster memory kit in the 3200-3600mhz range using only two DIMMs, rather than four, would be a significant, even potentially you could maybe call it "massive", increase in performance when taken as a whole.

If it's running on all four now, then go on with life until you can upgrade.

bjvink

Commendable
Dec 5, 2018
2 sticks stopped working and im not running on 8gb 2666mhz again, it won't boot up with 4 dimms filled and dram up one notch with 2133mhz. Will probably be selling my motherboard ram and cpu in the close future

Why would you do that, to upgrade, or because you are frustrated with the current behavior of the hardware?

As I said before, Ryzen has problems in many cases with running four DIMMs without increasing the memory voltage. With only two DIMMs installed (In the second and fourth slots away from the CPU, going left to right) try going into the BIOS and upping the DRAM voltage by .005-.020v, save the settings and exit the BIOS. Shut down, install the other two DIMMs, power on and see if it is stable at that speed now. If not, repeat the process one more time with two DIMMs and increase the DRAM voltage another increment. If it still fails to bring stability then it's likely the two kits are simply not fully compatible with each other, or the memory itself isn't totally compatible with your motherboard, or your board/CPU combination simply don't want to play nice with that specific memory kit at that speed with four DIMMs. There is a reason why high end memory is preferred on Ryzen platforms, because it's very fickle in this way. Using only two DIMMs on Ryzen platforms is a good way to avoid a lot of problems in many cases, so 2 x8GB is usually a much safer bet than 4 x4GB. To some extent, due to the additional stress that using twice as much memory puts on the memory controller, this is somewhat true for Intel platforms as well. Assuming dual channel platforms.

I'd do like I said and raise the DRAM voltage on the M.I.T tab or memory advanced settings. You'll need to be in the advanced view of the BIOS, not the basic or "EZ" view. I'd raise it by whatever the minimum increment is that it allows you to raise it by, so click in to the field where the DRAM voltage can be changed, and then hit the + button once. Should probably raise it by .020v on a Gigabyte board. That will lend a little more stability, to account for the increased instability inherent in running two additional sticks on many systems.