PC Specs:
  • Intel Core i5 6500
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Armor
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB)
  • MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X
  • Samsung 750 EVO 250GB
  • Dell 27" Monitor
  • Thermaltake Toughpower GOLD 550W

About my rig, I built this PC about 4 years ago and I've had no issues until recently, when gaming it started to restart itself.

I mainly play League of Legends and WoW but these games barely put load on my GPU that my fans don't even spin (they do work btw).

I've updated my drivers and even the BIOS but it still keeps happening.

I know the main culprit is very likely to be my PSU but I still can't come to terms with the fact that it's already dying; I thought these things are meant to be durable and last much longer.

Unfortunately, I don't have a spare PSU to swap out and test so I've come here to ask for your opinions. Is there anything else I could try before committing to buy a new PSU?

The logs from HWInfo64 don't suggest anything is out of the ordinary.

HWINFO64 Logs

Also if I have to replace my PSU what wattage should I go for?

Solution
No way you don't have a cooler on the cpu and those temps i wouldn't really believe as well if you didn't have that log attached, you run the ac's cool air into it like Jayz two cents? 😉
Same log says that voltages are fine as well,l only way to test is with a different psu.

You still could clean the pc and put some fresh paste under the cooler, but other than that is swapping the psu the only thing i can suggest now. A good quality 550watt should be fine for that pc and if you are thinking to take it to a new system would maybe a 650watt be a better choice with Nvidia's new gpu's using so much power.

No way you can test the gpu in another system? might as well be the problem here, could also change paste on that and clean. Or test...

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
Your PSU voltages seem OK on the HWInfo64 log.

When was the last time you gave the inside of your PC a good clean out?

What are your min and max idle and gaming temps for your CPU and GPU? - use HWInfo again - but no log, just the numbers

What cooler have you got on your CPU?
Have you overclocked your CPU?

Oct 25, 2020
Hi Steve,

Well tbh I haven't really done a good clean out inside the PC.

Idle
CPU temps:
  • min 33deg
  • max 38deg
GPU:
  • min 32deg
  • max 36deg

While gaming it goes up by a little but not very much. No fan noises or overheating when I touch the side of the PC

No cooler on CPU, just the fan and not overclocked as well.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
No way you don't have a cooler on the cpu and those temps i wouldn't really believe as well if you didn't have that log attached, you run the ac's cool air into it like Jayz two cents? 😉
Same log says that voltages are fine as well,l only way to test is with a different psu.

You still could clean the pc and put some fresh paste under the cooler, but other than that is swapping the psu the only thing i can suggest now. A good quality 550watt should be fine for that pc and if you are thinking to take it to a new system would maybe a 650watt be a better choice with Nvidia's new gpu's using so much power.

No way you can test the gpu in another system? might as well be the problem here, could also change paste on that and clean. Or test without it and hope you can run the games you play on the integrated gpu.

Solution