[SOLVED] PC Is running poorly no hardware is close to max usage

KingC12

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
So as of yesterday i noticed that my PC has started to run ridiculously slowly, doesn't load stuff as quick as it should, and in general just not what it usually is, and I honestly do not know why.

My Specs are:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: gigabyte 2080 super
RAM: 32GB Corsair 3600mhz
M.2 SSD 2 of them that have all my storage on
PSU: Corsair RM 650

When I pop open task manager the cpu is at around 40% and gpu at 45% when im gaming and have tabs on the other monitor.

Games just play like they're playing on 1 FPS. When I looked up the answer to this most people indicated towards the power consumption tab but when i checked, I already have it set to ultimate performance.

I've been using the PC for about 6 months without any issues at all, then yesterday when using it was like this.

I've also checked there are no viruses on the system and everything came back clear, so I am kind of at a loss right now.

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Some things you can try, in this order:
I know you said drivers are up to date but please double check.
  1. Update drivers (with a program like Driver Booster for example). A driver or windows update (or missing one) can be the issue.
  2. Cancel all overclocks if any (CPU, GPU, disable XMP profile on your RAM so it will run at 2133 mhz).
  3. Update your BIOS.
  4. Unninstall any antivirus software (leave only Windows Defender)
  5. Check if you don't have any viruses (perform a Windows Defender Scan check). Also check if there are any unusual processes running in your task manager.
  6. If using wireless mouse or keyboard, try changing them to wired ones. It worked for me once since the mouse was dying.
  7. Stress test your hardware (CPU...
Some things you can try, in this order:
I know you said drivers are up to date but please double check.
  1. Update drivers (with a program like Driver Booster for example). A driver or windows update (or missing one) can be the issue.
  2. Cancel all overclocks if any (CPU, GPU, disable XMP profile on your RAM so it will run at 2133 mhz).
  3. Update your BIOS.
  4. Unninstall any antivirus software (leave only Windows Defender)
  5. Check if you don't have any viruses (perform a Windows Defender Scan check). Also check if there are any unusual processes running in your task manager.
  6. If using wireless mouse or keyboard, try changing them to wired ones. It worked for me once since the mouse was dying.
  7. Stress test your hardware (CPU, GPU, memory). Use CPU benchmarks, GPU benchmarks and also you could run AIDA64. Check the load of each component and temperature. You said games look like they are running with 1 fps but what is the actual framerate? Compare it with configurations similar to yours online.
  8. If al else fails, clean install of Windows.
The issue can also be hardware based, which can be diagnosed more easily if you have some spare parts (like a GPU or PSU).

Last edited:
Solution
Start up a game and check your GPU and CPU clock speeds...it's possible something is thermal throttling.

Have you used the SSD manufacturer software tools to check your disk(s) health ?

Have you checked your memory speed and timings to see if somehow they were reset to defaults ?