[SOLVED] Pc is running slower after upgrades

Feb 24, 2020
Hi

I upgraded my pc today, it works perfectly fine, but it seems to be quite slow at times, so like hovering my mouse over things will not register until a few seconds have passed, it's thinking for a bit longer and overall it just seems slower than my old build. I've previously used this new build without issues, however it didn't have the new GPU, other than that it's the exact same build. Long story short I upgraded my entire pc 3 months ago, got the 3070 a few weeks after I upgraded everything, nothing worked with the new GPU, the motherboard was broken and got sent to repairs and it's been there for 3 months until today. So it's the same build as the one I had working 3 months ago except this time I got the 3070 in there as well. I tried looking for nvidia driver updates first, seemed to fix SOME issues. But it still seems slow every now and then, I saw I need to reinstall windows when I get a new motherboard so I did a windows reset where it keeps personal files and this hasn't changed anything.

Solution
For a fresh windows install, go to this link and click on "Download Tool Now". https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You want to download it to a USB Thumb drive and once you do that, you want to restart and boot to that usb thumb drive in which case it will prompt you to do a fresh install of windows.

Keep in mind that you will have to install all your Motherboard drivers again. Chipset, Audio, Bios update if you need one etc.

Although you have a 650W PSU, the new 3000 series GPU's are know for Power spikes, It honestly seems like you're getting a power spike during gameplay which exceeds your current PSU capabilities and its causing your system to crash. But thats just what it seems like...
Jan 17, 2021
First off, do you have a power supply with enough wattage to power that card, because they require a lot of power. If you don't have enough power to go around, it could account for your slow and laggy system. Also, you say you upgraded your pc, What are your system specifications, are you on a SSD or an HDD for your OS drive. Have you tried to do any stress tests to see if your build is stable under load.

Reactions: wattbot
Feb 24, 2020
First off, do you have a power supply with enough wattage to power that card, because they require a lot of power. If you don't have enough power to go around, it could account for your slow and laggy system. Also, you say you upgraded your pc, What are your system specifications, are you on a SSD or an HDD for your OS drive. Have you tried to do any stress tests to see if your build is stable under load.
My current setup is as follows:

Motherboard - gigabyte z390 aorus pro
GPU - ASUS geforce RTX 3070 dual
CPU - intel i9-9900k
CPU cooler - nzxt kraken x63
RAM: 2x 16GB + 2x 8GB same brand and model (hyperX fury I think it's called)
PSU: corsair 650W RMx
memory - samsung evo 500gb

So I've upgraded the motherboard, GPU, CPU and CPU cooler today. I used to run this exact setup except it was with my old 1060 ti 3GB and it worked totally fine, , when my GPU arrived and I tried to install it something in the motherboard malfunctioned and I had to go back to my old setup again until it was fixed. So yeah I did upgrade 4 parts, however the only change is that this time the GPU install was succesful, I've asked numerous times in the PSU forums and the majority of people said 650w would be totally fine, an upgrade wouldn't hurt no doubt, but it should definitely be able to run just fine.

Feb 24, 2020
A Windows reset is not the same as a fresh install of Windows. You need to wipe the Windows partition and completely reinstall.
I'm not gonna lie, I don't really know how I do that, however in the settings where you do the windows resets they have a link that says "learn how to start afresh with a clean installation of windows" is that what's considered a proper reinstall?

Feb 24, 2020
Can we have the full system specs of the PC including the PSU brand and model?

What did you upgrade exactly? Only the GPU?

Like said above a reset is not a wipe + reinstall of Windows.
My current setup is as follows:

Motherboard - gigabyte z390 aorus pro
GPU - ASUS geforce RTX 3070 dual
CPU - intel i9-9900k
CPU cooler - nzxt kraken x63
RAM: 2x 16GB + 2x 8GB same brand and model (hyperX fury I think it's called)
PSU: corsair 650W RMx
memory - samsung evo 500gb

Jan 17, 2021
For a fresh windows install, go to this link and click on "Download Tool Now". https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You want to download it to a USB Thumb drive and once you do that, you want to restart and boot to that usb thumb drive in which case it will prompt you to do a fresh install of windows.

Keep in mind that you will have to install all your Motherboard drivers again. Chipset, Audio, Bios update if you need one etc.

Although you have a 650W PSU, the new 3000 series GPU's are know for Power spikes, It honestly seems like you're getting a power spike during gameplay which exceeds your current PSU capabilities and its causing your system to crash. But thats just what it seems like. I would venture to bet that it's causing your PSU to hit it's safety limits.
You should just buy an 800W PSU or higher and eliminate power ever being an issue. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

Yes you need a full clean install of windows for this to work properly and then it should have no issues. Whenever you swap out a CPU and motherboard you must do a clean install there is no other way around it and don’t let anyone ever tell you there is because they are just getting lucky

Feb 24, 2020

Although you have a 650W PSU, the new 3000 series GPU's are know for Power spikes, It honestly seems like you're getting a power spike during gameplay which exceeds your current PSU capabilities and its causing your system to crash. But thats just what it seems like. I would venture to bet that it's causing your PSU to hit it's safety limits.
You should just buy an 800W PSU or higher and eliminate power ever being an issue. Just my opinion.
So I did the fresh windows install and it doesn't seem to have changed anything, t

Okay I’ve done the proper clean install of windows now and it hasn’t changed a thing. I’ve installed the NVIDIA drivers and checked for updates in the “updates and security” section in settings (it had like 5 different things it was installing/updating). Now if I’ve missed anything please let me know, because that’s honestly all that I can think of myself.

I see your argument about the PSU and honestly I might just go out and buy something like an 800W PSU next month after payday, HOWEVER the thing is that I haven’t even tried gaming yet. It is slow even when doing nothing, I can have no tabs open and just be on the desktop and it will still be slow. The biggest task I’ve tried so far was watching a stream which after like 5 minutes was completely impossible, it felt like the entire pc was about to crash, yet in the task manager, the highest total usage I got was 11%, this includes both CPU, GPU, RAM and all the other things it shows in task manager.