Question PC is running very slow

mkdgamer907

Reputable
Jun 29, 2018
Hi. My PC is running slowly and i dont know why. I cheked task manager everything is good, cheked CPU and GPU temps they were 30-43 celsius. It was fast 2 weeks ago but when i installed a update for windows 10 it became slower. I noticed while i was playing "FORTNITE". When i get into a game the textures are loading slowly i am sure its the cpu's reason and the game is lagging alot. Example. Randomly while playing the game will freeze / stop responding then 2 - 6 seconds later it will unfreeze. same problem with csgo. when i run it i will have 60 fps at the main menu but when i restart the game its on 90 sometimes i have to restart it 3 times. I am using a program Mem Reduct to free memory but i guess 4 gb for fortnite is too litle.
MY SYSTEM SPECS:
CPU:
Intel Pentium Dual Core E5500 2.8GHz
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GT 710 GDDR5 overclocked to 1225MHz 2GB VRAM
RAM:
4GB (2x2)
MB:
Foxconn G41MXE

What is your power supply model number?

How old is your power supply (How long has it been in use)?

The temps you noted can't be load temps, those are likely idle temps. You need to look at your temps while under a normal or full load to know if there is a thermal related problem or not. 30-43°C are not temps consistent with load conditions.

Have you done a clean install of the Nvidia drivers using the DDU?

If there are any steps listed here that you have not already done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First,

make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second,

go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

Third,

Make sure your memory is running at the correct advertised speed in the BIOS. This may require that you set the memory to run at the XMP profile settings. Also, make sure you have the memory installed in the correct slots and that they are running in dual channel which you can check by installing CPU-Z and checking the Memory tab. For all modern motherboards that are dual channel memory architectures, from the last ten years at least, if you have two sticks installed they should be in the A2 (Called DDR4_1 on some boards) or B2 (Called DDR4_2 on some boards) which are ALWAYS the SECOND and FOURTH slots over from the CPU socket, counting TOWARDS the edge of the motherboard EXCEPT on boards that only have two memory slots total. In that case, if you have two modules it's not rocket science, but if you have only one, then install it in the A1 or DDR4_1 slot.

Fourth,

Make sure the problem is not just a bad cable or the wrong cable IF this is a no display issue. If it is NOT related to a lack of display signal, then skip to the next step.

This happens a lot. Try a different cable or a different TYPE of cable. Sometimes there can be issues with the monitor or card not supporting a specific specification such as HDMI 1.4 vs HDMI 2.0, or even an HDMI output stops working but the Displayport or DVI output still works fine on the graphics card. Always worth checking the cable and trying other cables because cables get run over, bent, bent pins or simply were cheap quality to begin with and something as simple as trying a different cable or different monitor might be all that is required to solve your issue.

The last thing we want to look at,

for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

mkdgamer907

Reputable
Jun 29, 2018
I can't check the load temps because i can't run programs in the background while playing fortnite. i have the latest bios installed and it is 8 years old. foxconn has stopped supporting my motherboard a long time ago. the drivers are out dated they dont work example realtek hd audio manager (newest version) doesn't work on my motherboard i mean it doesnt show up in control panel. i can only use the old version which is terrible. my board doesnt allow memory changes so it runs at oridnary speed. i said the game freezes not signal problems i think there is a problem with the cpu game freezes than unfreezes so signal issues are not the problem and i will try the ddu

that system is bare minimum,not only for fortnite,but also to run windows 10.that having been said,ive noticed that my system runs slower after an update as well,but speeds up with time.how long has it been since the update?

Last edited:
Your system shouldn't run slower after an update, it should run faster, unless there is a driver issue from the system overriding one of the hardware specific drivers or something gets borked in the process.

Regardless, my original questions were not answered or addressed for the most part and until they are all of this is just guesswork. Please answer those questions and we can move forward from there.

mkdgamer907

Reputable
Jun 29, 2018
Your system shouldn't run slower after an update, it should run faster, unless there is a driver issue from the system overriding one of the hardware specific drivers or something gets borked in the process.

Regardless, my original questions were not answered or addressed for the most part and until they are all of this is just guesswork. Please answer those questions and we can move forward from there.
MY PSU is SMART 500w-p4

mkdgamer907

Reputable
Jun 29, 2018
that system is bare minimum,not only for fortnite,but also to run windows 10.that having been said,ive noticed that my system runs slower after an update as well,but speeds up with time.how long has it been since the update?
No its not. I ran fortnite at 60fps last season.
windows is running fine but after the update something happend
and can someone tell me how i am not seeing a improvement in fps when i overclocked the gpu from 954mhz to 1225 mhz

mkdgamer907

Reputable
Jun 29, 2018
Judging by the description, I'd suspect a bad HDD/SSD.
use Crystaldiskinfo to check on em:
i downloaded it and it said caution i clicked on the yellow caution box and it gave me some options i put the default the caution sign still stood but when i put everything at 0 a box with the words good apeared so i think my hdd is not the problem
i know its the cpu hdd doesnt do the loading the cpu and ram do it hdd just gives the data to the ram and cpu

henry.j.kautz

Prominent
Jul 21, 2018
The fact that Fortnite even loads on a 710 and a dual-core Pentium is miraculous. Don't expect any kind of playable gaming with those parts. I'd just build an entirely new system.

Your PC is not underperforming, it's just a terrible PC.

There is NO WAY, EVER, that you could run Fortnite on a GT 710at 60FPS with an E5500 unless you were running at a VERY, VERY VERY VERY, low resolution. Like 480p (640x480) which would be pretty bad to watch.

Also, that's not a very good power supply, but considering your hardware, this is probably the one and only instance where I'd say that unit was more than enough by a lot shot. Doesn't mean it can't just be bad though.

Reactions: henry.j.kautz

mkdgamer907

Reputable
Jun 29, 2018
The fact that Fortnite even loads on a 710 and a dual-core Pentium is miraculous. Don't expect any kind of playable gaming with those parts. I'd just build an entirely new system.

Your PC is not underperforming, it's just a terrible PC.
i am selling the pc rn but fortnite loaaded and was playable i guess rip fortnite on this pc

mkdgamer907

Reputable
Jun 29, 2018
There is NO WAY, EVER, that you could run Fortnite on a GT 710at 60FPS with an E5500 unless you were running at a VERY, VERY VERY VERY, low resolution. Like 480p (640x480) which would be pretty bad to watch.

LOL i ran it on 1280x1024 at 50precent 3d resolution everything low except textures they were on high and notexturestreaming to load textures in vram and i had 40-60 fps depending on situation if u run it on 640x480 it will be windowed and really shitty

mkdgamer907

Reputable
Jun 29, 2018
Which W10 updates did you install?
For example the April update has issues with some Antivirus softwares that caused slowdowns as well.
Yeah i think it was that one bcs i didnt update my pc on april i installed the april update in may.
now i installed a update called "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903" i hope it improves performance

jason201

Prominent
Feb 20, 2018
Definitely not the HDD then.
Anyways, if your video card has active cooling (as in, a fan) you should check if it's actually spinning while the computer is powered up. You should also check it's temperature with this app:
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
It might be overheating. Other than that, I'd also suggest updating your video card driver to the latest version, and also, run a malware scan with malware bytes to be on the safe side.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Realtek has multiple drivers, you can't just use the latest. And yes, Realtek and windows clash all the time, as windows likes to insist that it use its native drivers since they have higher version numbers. In order to get the correct drivers for your mobo, you'll need to find the actual chipset number. (this is mine : Chipset integrated by Realtek® ALC898). So for new Realtek drivers, I need the ALC898 version. Loading up the latest might give you ALC1300 etc, which won't work right.

Same goes for your Lan, windows updates often mess up network drivers.

You can find all this info in Device Manager, for most drivers the windows native are OK, but it's better to have the last published chipset drivers as they'll have microcode fixes for the 16/32 bit conversion to 64 bit OS.