Question PC is shutting down after few minutes

Jul 14, 2019
PC is shutting down after 2-3 mins.

Suddenly I'm facing a strange problem in my PC. it's shutting down after 2-3 mins of stating.Even sometimes it's not staring at all. In such cases when I press the power button the CPU and PSU fans start rotating after 4-5 seconds it stops and nothing happens . Initially I thought it might be due to high temperature on CPU. So I checked the cpu and Mobo temp via hardware monitor . Everything seems to be normal ( below 60c). The weirdest thing is . sometimes the PC is working fine for 30-40 mins without any issues and that too under heavy to moderate load . Then I thought it might be the PSU. So I shorted two PSU connector pins via a wire to check if it's working.The PSU fans is rotating. I wonder what might be the cause to this problem. Can anyone help ? PS- I have also performed a CMOS reset ( both PIN shorting and battery removal method ).
battery removal method ).
Update 1- Now it's not staring at all.

Jul 14, 2019
Please post entire system spec including PSU make and model.
PSU fan rotating doesn't indicate a properly working PSU, just that it has some power.
It's a pretty old system .

CPU- AMD FX 6300
mobo- GIGABYTE GA-78LM-s2pt
Memory - Corsair vengeance 8+8
GPU- Nvidia GTX 960
PSU - Corsair VS 550
At this momemt after pressing power button nothing happens. No POST,No BIOS nothing .

Jul 14, 2019
PSU yes voltage doesn't mean good voltage.

Electronics don't tend to die all of a sudden. U swear on your flushed gold fish u didn't change anything, didn't spill anything, didn't bump anything, didn't suddenly had the urge to vacuum it?

Check event log.
It's not turning on at this moment ..so no way to check the event log .
I didn't install any new softwares since 2 months and certainly I didn't touch the hardware .

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It's a pretty old system .

CPU- AMD FX 6300
mobo- GIGABYTE GA-78LM-s2pt
Memory - Corsair vengeance 8+8
GPU- Nvidia GTX 960
PSU - Corsair VS 550
At this momemt after pressing power button nothing happens. No POST,No BIOS nothing .
If literally nothing is happenening when you press the power button, i would first go to this guide and cover all steps:https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Following that, the Corsair VS series are notoriously bad quality (especially the older models) - the newer ones are better but still budget line. I've had countless issues with this PSU series causing the issue you describe amongst many others, so if the above guide does not help, I would get a new, good quality PSU.

Jul 14, 2019
If literally nothing is happenening when you press the power button, i would first go to this guide and cover all steps:https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Following that, the Corsair VS series are notoriously bad quality (especially the older models) - the newer ones are better but still budget line. I've had countless issues with this PSU series causing the issue you describe amongst many others, so if the above guide does not help, I would get a new, good quality PSU.
Thanks for your help .I tried all of the steps mentioned there except swapping out the PSU, still no lock .I will try to test with a different PSU tomorrow .

Reactions: PC Tailor
Jul 14, 2019
Thanks for your help .I tried all of the steps mentioned there except swapping out the PSU, still no lock .I will try to test with a different PSU tomorrow .
I've tested with a different PSU today , still no luck ..but my current PSU( which i was suspecting faulty ) worked like a charm in a different PC. So finally i can eliminate PSU from the suspect list which points to only one thing left -motherboard .This there any way to check if motherboard is dead ?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I've tested with a different PSU today , still no luck ..but my current PSU( which i was suspecting faulty ) worked like a charm in a different PC. So finally i can eliminate PSU from the suspect list which points to only one thing left -motherboard .This there any way to check if motherboard is dead ?
Not really, replace and retest unfortunately.
No better test than a swap.

Reactions: ThunderFlash