[SOLVED] Pc is slow after electricity went out

Mar 12, 2020
So power went out last monday morning. Then my power supply(FSP 750w semi modular) got fried and bought a new one (seasonic 650w). So i try to open the pc and everything is fine, after 10 mins of using/browsing the net, my pc suddenly went super slow and turned off itself. I open again, i try to play games but it is still very slow than before(before the power went out), wont load or if it does, its just unplayable...

Please help :(

Sorry if my english is bad...

Solution
Typically a computer won't slow down because of a power supply issue. It doesn't know how much "juice" a power supply is capable of delivering. If the power supply can't deliver power, it will just shut down hard with a crash or power off. Seasonics are really good supplies. So it's likely it would just hard click off. (Not slow the CPU down however) So I think we can safely rule out your power supply.

That said, I would look to see if some other component in your system is responsible. I would check the temps and cpu clocks and see if they are hitting where they are supposed to hit. If you don't know how to do this, we can walk you through it.

It is possible you have reset the UEFI BIOS because of the power outage (SUPER...
Typically a computer won't slow down because of a power supply issue. It doesn't know how much "juice" a power supply is capable of delivering. If the power supply can't deliver power, it will just shut down hard with a crash or power off. Seasonics are really good supplies. So it's likely it would just hard click off. (Not slow the CPU down however) So I think we can safely rule out your power supply.

That said, I would look to see if some other component in your system is responsible. I would check the temps and cpu clocks and see if they are hitting where they are supposed to hit. If you don't know how to do this, we can walk you through it.

It is possible you have reset the UEFI BIOS because of the power outage (SUPER RARE, but it does happen.) This would sometimes cause the wrong clock multiplier or memory timings to be set

It's also possible you knocked a CPU cooler loose by accident when swapping your power supply. An overheating CPU or GPU would throttle down.

I would also run a full virus scan and check your task manager to see if any processes are hogging CPU Cycles.

Lastly (and I hope not) a power surge might have damaged your computer. Again, it's doubtful. But I have seen power surges make computers flakey after the power comes back on.

Solution
Mar 12, 2020

It is possible you have reset the UEFI BIOS because of the power outage (SUPER RARE, but it does happen.) This would sometimes cause the wrong clock multiplier or memory timings to be set

It's also possible you knocked a CPU cooler loose by accident when swapping your power supply. An overheating CPU or GPU would throttle down.

I would also run a full virus scan and check your task manager to see if any processes are hogging CPU Cycles.

Lastly (and I hope not) a power surge might have damaged your computer. Again, it's doubtful. But I have seen power surges make computers flakey after the power comes back on.
i did try something... First i put away a 4gb ram (i have 2 4gb ram) it is less laggy but still laggy, so i cant open games like fallout 4 or gtav or BF V(even origin). Then i put the 4gb ram back. I try to disconnect the 2 HDD (1tb each) and it doesnt lag with just SSD, now i reconnect 1 HDD (black one which i use for drive D) everything is ok but games will not still load (gta v did load for after 10 mins but really laggy and unplayable) i have not connected the other HDD (blue one which i use for drive E and F)

Mar 12, 2020
Processor: i5 4690k
Mobo: gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3 LGA 1150
Psu: Seasonic S21III 650w
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 4x2 1600mhz
Gpu: Palit Jetstream 1060 6gb
SSD: 120gb Kingston
HDD: 1tb WD Caviar Black & 1tb WD Caviar Blue

Other notes:

Memtest - shuts down at pass 1 (tried one by one)
Stress Test (Uniengine) - 10 - 20 fps slow

Processor: i5 4690k
Mobo: gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3 LGA 1150
Psu: Seasonic S21III 650w
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 4x2 1600mhz
Gpu: Palit Jetstream 1060 6gb
SSD: 120gb Kingston
HDD: 1tb WD Caviar Black & 1tb WD Caviar Blue

Other notes:

Memtest - shuts down at pass 1 (tried one by one)
Stress Test (Uniengine) - 10 - 20 fps slow

Hmmm ill have to think on this one. A hard drive that is dieing can cause lag due to long load times and crashes.

But a bad hdd wouldnt affect mem test. If mem test crashed i would suspect ram or ram settings.

Mar 12, 2020
Hmmm ill have to think on this one. A hard drive that is dieing can cause lag due to long load times and crashes.

But a bad hdd wouldnt affect mem test. If mem test crashed i would suspect ram or ram settings.

can a bad ram cause my pc to lag so bad?

Mar 12, 2020

Hi again! Uhmm so i did memtest with my ram on another pc and it is working ok! I have also tested my video card on another pc and it is working ok! I have not tested so far the SSD and HDD, also i suspect my motherboard or processor

Hi again! Uhmm so i did memtest with my ram on another pc and it is working ok! I have also tested my video card on another pc and it is working ok! I have not tested so far the SSD and HDD, also i suspect my motherboard or processor

I would use prime95 (free) and execute a stress test from the menu.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/prime95-download.html

While prime 95 is running, open task manager. Go to the performance tab and report back what the cpu frequency is.

Reactions: ImShinbi
Mar 12, 2020
I would use prime95 (free) and execute a stress test from the menu.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/prime95-download.html

While prime 95 is running, open task manager. Go to the performance tab and report back what the cpu frequency is.
sorry about the delayed response, i have tried it and my processor and motherboard seems to be ok. everything is working now again, thank you for y our help. i just reattached the processor in motherboard then to my surprise, everything is working great.
thank you guys for your help... i am happy now! <3

sorry about the delayed response, i have tried it and my processor and motherboard seems to be ok. everything is working now again, thank you for y our help. i just reattached the processor in motherboard then to my surprise, everything is working great.
thank you guys for your help... i am happy now! <3

Happy to hear you are working again. I was wondering what happened.