Question PC is slow after upgrading from an i5 to an i7 ?

aussiemite

Commendable
Apr 8, 2021
Hello, I have recently ordered a preowned i7 4790 CPU along with a new Coolmaster CPU cooler. Recently upgraded from the i5 4440

CURRENT SPECS:

• i7 4790 CPU
  • Acer Aspire TC-605 MS-7869 H81 LGA1150 Motherboard
  • 2x4GB RAM
  • 650W Antec 80+ Bronze PSU
  • GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 970 WF OC 4GB
Before switching the CPU and CPU cooler, my PC was running completely fine, games ran well, but the PC startup is a bit slower than usual and my computer lags here and there and when I start up any game, it lags really bad and makes my PC lag too. I had a look at the CPU core temperature and it's at roughly around 30 to 45 degrees celsius.

Is it possible that my motherboard does not support i7 processors? It's an LG A1150 so I don't see why it shouldn't work. I tried to find a BIOS update on the acer website that supports my BIOS version of P21.A4 (12/09/2014) but I couldn't find any updates for it unfortunately.

I am quite annoyed as everything worked perfectly before adding the new CPU in and was hoping it would improve PC performance but it has not. I've also correctly installed the CPU.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P21-A4, 12/09/2014
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Acer
BaseBoard Product Aspire TC-605

Ralston18

Titan
Start here:

https://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket_1150_LGA1150_H3.html

Note the comment:

"All processors, listed below, will physically fit into the socket 1150, although not all of them may be supported. For that reason, before buying a new CPU please always make sure that the CPU is compatible with your motherboard. "

You will need to go to Intel's website with as much motherboard information as you can find to determine if the preowned CPU is indeed supported by the motherboard.

And there is also the issue of preowned - that in and of itself may be problematic. CPU source/seller?

aussiemite

Commendable
Apr 8, 2021
ℹ [Three posts consolidated in to one by moderator]

Well the CPU fits regardless and is now working, I changed back to the stock cooler and it’s running. The cool master cooler is faulty.

The cool master cooler was wiggling a bit but it was firm in there to my belief but then I used the stock cooler and that was firm and wasn’t wiggling. Is the cool master cpu cooler faulty? Both are screwable.

And also, I used the cool master back on my i5 when I factory reset my PC and it works fine. Could it have been a bios thing that when I did a factory reset, it fixed the bios configuration?

If that’s the case, is it okay to put the cool master cooler back on?