PC is using 13gb out of 16gb of RAM when running nothing

hershycows

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Hey All,
I've been having this problem for a little while, tried to figure it out myself and I'm stumped. The issue is my PC seems to be using max RAM all the time, at a standstill its at about 13gb out of 16gb. I dual screen and say I'm watching a YouTube video @ 720p and playing a game (such as LoL on high in windowed mode, I don't typically play resource hog games/fullscreen games and watch anything) I'm at about 15.8gb out of 16gb. Do I really need more RAM? Or is something else going on? My PC specs are:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel i5-6500 3.2Ghz
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8gb) DDR4-2400
Crucial MX300 750gb SSD
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8gb G1

I know I'm forgetting some stuff, if you need more info or screenshots etc please ask I'm going on about 18hrs w/o sleep (this is also my excuse for my terrible grammar and punctuation lol).

Thanks ahead of time, this community has saved my bacon a few times and I know you geniuses will do it again :D

Solution
Open the Task Manger. Click on the Details tab. Now sort by Memory. Now identify the processes/s that's consuming the most RAM.

I'm betting it's your browser. I've seen this before if you don't periodically purge the browser cache. (because the software devs are sloppy at coding these days)/

stdragon

Admirable
Open the Task Manger. Click on the Details tab. Now sort by Memory. Now identify the processes/s that's consuming the most RAM.

I'm betting it's your browser. I've seen this before if you don't periodically purge the browser cache. (because the software devs are sloppy at coding these days)/

Solution

hershycows

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009

stdragon, You are a genius. I had noticed FF was eating up a ton of memory so I had done a few things that I found online to try to fix it but for whatever reason it did not occur to me to just wipe the cache/history/cookies etc. I'm now down to 3.3gb. Thanks!!!