[SOLVED] PC isnt performing at how its meant to be

Oct 3, 2019
So I got a new PC recently the specs are

SSD - Samsung 500 GB
HDD - None
CPU - i7 9700kf
GPU - Gigabyte Rx5700 XT
Ram - 16 gb of DDR4

And games like Minecraft, Black Desert Online and The Forest are all running at really ** frames and its getting extremely frustrating because I dont know whats happening.

In minecraft I would run at 150 frames but as soon as I move my mouse it would go down to 10 frames.
Black Desert Online would be running at 20 frames
The Forest would be running at 100 frames but as soon as I move my mouse it would go down to 5 frames.

My mouse is G402 Logitech and it is connected by USB. This is not the problem because on my old PC the mouse worked completely fine. All the drivers are updated and there are no other drivers conflicting with it.

On MSI afterburner the clock speed is only performing at 10 MHz when idle and only around 600 Mhz when underload. It can go up to 1800 Mhz apparently and does not reach its max performance, now all the temperatures are below 50 degrees and the highest it goes is around 58 degrees. Please help me

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The stuttering is from your PC running in single channel mode - a physical issue with no other way around it other than to get a matching stick to run dual channel.

Give this a spin and see if it can find anything.
I'm pretty certain that whatever is causing the mouse to drop fps is software related.

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
So I got a new PC recently the specs are

SSD - Samsung 500 GB
HDD - None
CPU - i7 9700kf
GPU - Gigabyte Rx5700 XT
Ram - 16 gb of DDR4

And games like Minecraft, Black Desert Online and The Forest are all running at really shit frames and its getting extremely frustrating because I dont know whats happening.

In minecraft I would run at 150 frames but as soon as I move my mouse it would go down to 10 frames.
Black Desert Online would be running at 20 frames
The Forest would be running at 100 frames but as soon as I move my mouse it would go down to 5 frames.

My mouse is G402 Logitech and it is connected by USB. This is not the problem because on my old PC the mouse worked completely fine. All the drivers are updated and there are no other drivers conflicting with it.

On MSI afterburner the clock speed is only performing at 10 MHz when idle and only around 600 Mhz when underload. It can go up to 1800 Mhz apparently and does not reach its max performance, now all the temperatures are below 50 degrees and the highest it goes is around 58 degrees. Please help me
You may have a similar issue to me, afterburner settings may be conflicting with AMD Wattman, uninstall afterburner and then open wattman and set your gpu to turbo mode.

Oct 3, 2019
Drivers updated... both motherboard and gpu?

Is this an entirely new PC - did you carry anything over?

Cpu cooler?

Make and model of power supply?
Yes all Drivers are updated, this is an entirely new PC nothing is carried over and the CPU cooler is something like a coolermaster fan with a heat sink

Oct 3, 2019
An overclocking software which installs with the radeon drivers, overclocking software is notorious for conflicting with each other. If you want to see if you have it installed, right click desktop, open radeon settings, go to gaming tab then global settings and wattman settings are in the middle.
yessir I have found it, but the clock speed is still at 100 mhz while my game is open, msi afterburner is not installed anymore

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
Just one thing to note with your results is you have a nice build you really want to be running dual channel ram rather than a single stick, I'd opt for higher clocked speed as well. Make sure your ram is in the correct slot as well, your motherboard manual should say which slot to use for single channel ram.

Last edited:
Reactions: captaincharisma
Oct 3, 2019
Just one thing to note with your results is you have a nice build you really want to be running dual channel ram rather than a single stick, I'd opt for higher clocked speed as well. Make sure your ram is in the correct slot as well, your motherboard manual should say which slot to use for single channel ram

The results were good. But when I play a game the clock speed of the GPU is only 100 Mhz and wont reach its limits like it did in the test

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Double check your idle and in game cpu temps. This cpu is capable of 4.6ghz on all cores, but your average is 4.4ghz.
2)Gpu - same thing - the temps? Also, what is your case?
3)A single stick of memory - that doesn't help. You've got the capacity covered, but single channel isn't enough for gaming oriented PCs. Your cpu needs that memory bandwidth during cpu heavy situations, and you've essentially cut that in half.

Oct 3, 2019
1)Double check your idle and in game cpu temps. This cpu is capable of 4.6ghz on all cores, but your average is 4.4ghz.
2)Gpu - same thing - the temps? Also, what is your case?
3)A single stick of memory - that doesn't help. You've got the capacity covered, but single channel isn't enough for gaming oriented PCs. Your cpu needs that memory bandwidth during cpu heavy situations, and you've essentially cut that in half.

The Idle temp right now is 35 degrees celcius and ingame its around 40.
for the GPU and the cpu idle is 55 degrees celcius, underload its around 60 as the fan ramps up higher

Oct 3, 2019
I tried to find some pics of the cables on that unit - no luck.
So the 2 plugs you're using are different cables, and not a 2-in-1?

Do you have another PC, or a friend nearby who can test the gpu on their system?

Okay Im doing some more testing, the CPU is underload and its around 70 degrees celcius. The GPU however running at half clockspeed with 50 degrees celcius

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-Fresh build
-Motherboard drivers were update
-Gpu drivers updated
-Nothing appears to be overheating
-No overclocks

The reason for the cpu score is due to the single channel memory, so that's that. The problem lies with the gpu. And while a 5700XT is rather strong at 1080p, that doesn't explain the low clock speeds.

Did you let Windows finish with all it's background updates?
Monitor is plugged into the gpu?

Okay Im doing some more testing, the CPU is underload and its around 70 degrees celcius.
Ok. That's normal.

The GPU however running at half clockspeed with 50 degrees celcius
That's not.
Is the card sitting securely in the pcie slot?

The only other thing I can think of is the power supply, if the cause isn't the card itself.

Download and run GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
Go to the Sensors tab - you may need to expand the window up or down so all the bars are visible - and drag it to one of the corners of your monitor.

Run the following gpu test:
Heaven Benchmark: https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven
-Custom Preset
-API: DirectX 11
-Quality: Ultra
-Tessellation: Extreme
-Stereo 3D: Disabled
-Multi-monitor: Disabled
-Anti-aliasing: x8
-Full Screen: Unchecked
-Resolution: Your monitor's resolution
Click run, and once it finishes loading, click on 'Benchmark' at the top left corner of the screen.
While the benchmark is running, keep an eye on that 'PerfCap Reason', or Performance Cap Reason. It's quite literal. What is the reason for the gpu's performance through most of the benchmark? That's what we want to know.
You can even take a few screenshots, if you wish.

Oct 3, 2019
-Fresh build
-Motherboard drivers were update
-Gpu drivers updated
-Nothing appears to be overheating
-No overclocks

The reason for the cpu score is due to the single channel memory, so that's that. The problem lies with the gpu. And while a 5700XT is rather strong at 1080p, that doesn't explain the low clock speeds.

Did you let Windows finish with all it's background updates?
Monitor is plugged into the gpu?

Ok. That's normal.

That's not.
Is the card sitting securely in the pcie slot?

The only other thing I can think of is the power supply, if the cause isn't the card itself.

Download and run GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
Go to the Sensors tab - you may need to expand the window up or down so all the bars are visible - and drag it to one of the corners of your monitor.

Run the following gpu test:
Heaven Benchmark: https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven
-Custom Preset
-API: DirectX 11
-Quality: Ultra
-Tessellation: Extreme
-Stereo 3D: Disabled
-Multi-monitor: Disabled
-Anti-aliasing: x8
-Full Screen: Unchecked
-Resolution: Your monitor's resolution
Click run, and once it finishes loading, click on 'Benchmark' at the top left corner of the screen.
While the benchmark is running, keep an eye on that 'PerfCap Reason', or Performance Cap Reason. It's quite literal. What is the reason for the gpu's performance through most of the benchmark? That's what we want to know.
You can even take a few screenshots, if you wish.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/581408342413541396/629534953352331264/unknown.png
Okay sir so the benchmark you made me do earlier and now the card performed extremely well and had no hiccups. Im not sure why but it wasnt being held back and ran at 100% performance with its temps going up to 77 degrees. But in games it doesnt do this. Also another problem is in minecraft whenever I move my mouse it freezes stutters, drops really low then if I stand still and just move around with WASD its frames go up to 200 although the clock speed is still extremely low, the clock speed also fluctuates between 6 and 1000 whenever im playing Black desert online with 20 frames

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Does performance change between full screen, borderless, and windowed modes?

Go to the "Properties" of the game's .exe file, go to the "Compatibility" tab, and check the "Run this program as administrator" box.

In the software menu for your Logitech mouse, is the report rate is set to 1000 as default? Try a lower number, like 500, or 250?