Question PC issue, maybe bad motherboard ?

Sep 22, 2022
Hello ,

It seems that a lot of people facing issues with their computers found a solution here so i wanted to give it a try.

Computer specifications
Motherboard : MSI z390-a PRO
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
RAM: 4 - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory (2 sets)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Specs link : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NJwncT/add_to_cart/

When i install 4 ram modules on my computer and when i turn it on the debug led lights (CPU and DRAM) switching on and and off one by one continuously and the computer is not booting. The computer only boots when i install 2 ram modules on the slots A1 and B1.
I have 4 ram modules bought in 2 sets (lets name them set A and set B). The set A works only on the slots A1 and B1 as i mentioned before and the set B is not working at all. This problem appeared after about 2 years since i built my computer.
I already updated my bios, first in the second latest and then on the latest (beta version) versions i found on the MSI site and that didn't fix the problem. I also reset the BIOS, by removing the power cable and the motherboard battery for about 20 minutes while i pressed the power button for around 30 seconds, with the same results.
I have also updated windows to windows 11 pro.
Finally i read online that people with a similar problem on a different motherboard had a CPU issue but i dont have any thermal paste so i am gonna check on my CPU tomorrow after i buy one.
Please forgive my bad English, since it isn't my native language i am not using it daily and it is a little bit rusty. I hope i explained my problem comprehensively.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Forgot to mentions that all 4 RAM modules have been tested on another PC and there are working smoothly.

Last edited:
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

You may be able to get things to run by installing one kit and increasing the ram voltage up a notch.
Then try the second kit.

Reactions: sagias
Sep 22, 2022
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

You may be able to get things to run by installing one kit and increasing the ram voltage up a notch.
Then try the second kit.
Hello , thank you for your response. i tried your advice i uped the voltage from 1.20 to 1.35 then to 1.30. Both times i tried all 4 modules at once and after the set B(not working one) on its own with the same results. The strange thing is that the ram set A works only in slots A1 and B1 and the set B doesnt work on either A1-B1 nor on A2-B2. And moreover today i tried the set B on my brothers computer and his computer booted.

PS: at one point the set A worked on the slots A2-B2( 4-5 days ago) but suddenly they stopped working on that slots and they didnt work on those slots ever since.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022
Hello , thank you for your response. i tried your advice i uped the voltage from 1.20 to 1.35 then to 1.30. Both times i tried all 4 modules at once and after the set B(not working one) on its own with the same results. The strange thing is that the ram set A works only in slots A1 and B1 and the set B doesnt work on either A1-B1 nor on A2-B2. And moreover today i tried the set B on my brothers computer and his computer booted.

PS: at one point the set A worked on the slots A2-B2( 4-5 days ago) but suddenly they stopped working on that slots and they didnt work on those slots ever since.

Once I got myself extra set of identical kit Fury Beast 3600 cl17, my system worked fine all stable (now I am on different kits),

If I were you, I'd just sell the one you got, then simply buy a kit of 32gb

Sep 22, 2022
Once I got myself extra set of identical kit Fury Beast 3600 cl17, my system worked fine all stable (now I am on different kits),

If I were you, I'd just sell the one you got, then simply buy a kit of 32gb
I thought of that as well but since one of my kits doesn't work at all I am afraid to get a new one because I dont want to risk it. Another option is to buy a new motherboard but it's hard to find a z390 model within a reasonable price range and I don't know what other model I can replace it with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Run memtest on individual kits, placing each kit in the recommmended slots for two sticks. Corsair ram will have a lifetime warranty.
If memtest shows a defective kit, open up a rma incident with Corsair and the ram should be replaced.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

I have in the past had good experience with the Corsair ram guys.
But, do not expect too much sympathy for mismatched ram.

Ultimately, it is probably worth it to buy a 2 x 16gb DDR4 ram kit replacement in anticipation of reuse on a future intel gen 13 upgrade.

Sep 22, 2022
Run memtest on individual kits, placing each kit in the recommmended slots for two sticks. Corsair ram will have a lifetime warranty.
If memtest shows a defective kit, open up a rma incident with Corsair and the ram should be replaced.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

I have in the past had good experience with the Corsair ram guys.
But, do not expect too much sympathy for mismatched ram.

Ultimately, it is probably worth it to buy a 2 x 16gb DDR4 ram kit replacement in anticipation of reuse on a future intel gen 13 upgrade.
Once again thank you very much for your response. Since for both the ram kits i have, when i place them on the recommended slots of my motherboard (A2-B2 as mentioned before) my computer does not pass the DRAM check i cannot test them on my computer. I will test them both tomorrow on my brother's computer and i will respond with the results. Thanks again for your time i hope you have a great day.

Since all was well when you initially built the pc, I might suspect that something has failed since.
My main suspect would be the motherboard.

Yes, a bent pin in the cpu socket will often cause ram issues.
But once installed and working ok as it did originally, a bent pin is not likely the issue.
In fact if you remove the cpu to inspect, you are more likely to cause the damage if you do not insert the chip cleanly.

It might be worth opening an incident with the corsair ram guys.

I would not buy a replacement Z390 motherboard.
They are no longer made so new prices will be inflated.

It might be better to sell your 9900K and simply upgrade to a current gen I5-12400
Which is comparable in performance to your i9-9900K for multithreaded batch apps, and somewhat stronger for gaming.
You can use a B660 based DDR4 motherboard which is not expensive in MATX size.
You can probably reuse at least one of your ram kits and possibly both.