[SOLVED] PC jitters and then restarts~constantly

bobber501

Honorable
Jun 29, 2015
In the past couple of months I've noticed my PC kind of freeze a bit sometimes and I just ignored it. Sometimes it would turn off then back on, but that would happen rarely. But now it keeps on restarting every 20sec- 10min, sometimes it restarts before I even get to the Windows login screen. It jitters for a second or two, sometimes the audio will continue playing and then jitter, and sometimes it'll jitter right away, then restart. I dont know how else to test it and am not sure anymore what the problem can be. I used Prime95 to test the CPU, Mem86 to test the ram, FurMark to test the GPU, I tried playing some games on high settings, I swapped the SSD's and put my original SSD in another computer, and everything was normal, no problems. I am always checking the CPU and GPU temperatures to see if they're too high and they're normal as well. I cleaned off most of the dust in my case.

I then tried taking out the GPU to see if maybe that was the problem, and the PC stopped restarting. But I put my GPU into another PC and that other PC hasn't restarted or jittered once. Now I don't know what the problem with my PC is, the only last parts to test are the Power Supply and motherboard, but the second PC i used to test the GPU only had 300W, while mine was 430W. What could be causing this issue?

PC:
8GB DDR4 ram 2133mhz
Intel Pentium G4560 3.5ghz
GPU: GTX 1050
Hard Drive: 500gb SSD
Power Supply: EVGA 430W White
Motherboard: Asrock h100m-hds

Second PC for testing:
16GB DDR3 RAM 1600mhz
Intel Core i5-4440 3.10ghz
Power Supply: 300W Dell Inspiron 3847 Desktop PSU L300NM-01 G9MTY
Motherboard: Dell 088DT1 Motherboard

Solution

Could be either of them. Take the motherboard out and check it for bulging/loose capacitors, and any other visible signs of damage.
As for the psu, no other alternatives than to try another one. The EVGA 430 White isn't a stellar unit - best suited for home office PCs; browsing, some Facebook games, Word, Excel... the light stuff.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Could be either of them. Take the motherboard out and check it for bulging/loose capacitors, and any other visible signs of damage.
As for the psu, no other alternatives than to try another one. The EVGA 430 White isn't a stellar unit - best suited for home office PCs; browsing, some Facebook games, Word, Excel... the light stuff.

Solution

bobber501

Honorable
Jun 29, 2015

I thought it might be a problem with the actual slot where I put the GPU in so I got an older GPU, the AMD Radeon HD 6450 and I've been using the pc for more than 4 hours now without it freezing up or restarting at all.

As for the power supply, I've had it for 3 years now and its worked fine for me. I'm not sure if it might be "dying", because I honestly cant tell. I still have the warranty on the PSU and can get a RMA replacement, but I'm not sure if its even worth it to pay for the shipping. The PC works fine just when the GTX 1050 isnt in the machine, but then the GTX 1050 works when its in another machine.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Have you noticed the common denominator from your troubleshooting?

The psu doesn't have to be dying. The internal components have a finite lifespan, and with anything that ages, it can't do what it could back in it's prime.
It's nothing to do with wattage.