[SOLVED] PC just crashed, won't boot up anymore, says "necessary device not available"

Cudois

Prominent
Nov 29, 2019
Hi guys!

I was just playing Path of Exile and all of a sudden my pc went blue screen, tried to reboot and gave me a black error screen saying

Info: Error at Startchoice. Access to necessary device not available. (translated)

It says to enter the windows disc and go to "Repair computer"

Thing is, I don't have a CD-Rom drive anymore and no boot cd.

One thing I noticed when I go into BIOS, it doesn't show my SSD anymore, only the HDD for data. Windows is on the SSD.
Maybe it gave up ? Its fairly new though (around 2 years)

Anyone has any idea what the issue could be?

Thank you! Bye

Solution
Hi Cudois.

If you don't see the SSD anymore maybe the SSD decided to just die.

I would recommend you create a Microsoft Windows Media installation disk using Windows Media Creation Tool from Microsoft on a USB key on another system to have a Windows Media on USB format for repair stuff in the future.

This won't fix a dead boot drive tho. You don't see it in the boot option anymore at all?

Did you test plugging the SSD in another SATA port if this is a SATA SSD to see if you can see it in the BIOS?

If nothings work you will have to replace the SSD and reinstall Windows on the new one.
Hi Cudois.

I would recommend you create a Microsoft Windows Media installation disk using Windows Media Creation Tool from Microsoft on a USB key on another system to have a Windows Media on USB format for repair stuff in the future.

This won't fix a dead boot drive tho. You don't see it in the boot option anymore at all?

Did you test plugging the SSD in another SATA port if this is a SATA SSD to see if you can see it in the BIOS?

If nothings work you will have to replace the SSD and reinstall Windows on the new one.

Reactions: Cudois
Solution

Cudois

Prominent
Nov 29, 2019
Hi Cudois.

Hi Nemesia! Thank you for the quick reply!

Yes, I just tested out another SATA Cable and tried a different port, same problem still.
It won't show the SSD in the "ATA Port Information" or in boot options in BIOS, only the HDD.

This really looks like the SSD just died doesn't it ? :(

Another question, I used the free upgrade to Win10 from Win7 back when it was available, can I still do that if I need to reinstall Win on a new SSD ?

Thank you!!

Cudois

Prominent
Nov 29, 2019
I will try that, if I get the opportunity!

I at least managed to install Win7 on the HDD now, I still had a backup on my USB Drive!

If I have to buy a new SSD, which 500 GB one would you guys recommend ? I had the Crucial MX and would like to try something new then :D

Hi Nemesia! Thank you for the quick reply!

Yes, I just tested out another SATA Cable and tried a different port, same problem still.
It won't show the SSD in the "ATA Port Information" or in boot options in BIOS, only the HDD.

This really looks like the SSD just died doesn't it ? :(

Another question, I used the free upgrade to Win10 from Win7 back when it was available, can I still do that if I need to reinstall Win on a new SSD ?

Thank you!!

You can create a Windows 10 media disk like I said and use your Windows 7 key and it should be fine. You might not even need to type the key in when in Windows when connected to the internet it should reactivate by itself. Don't install Windows 7 first. Just go for Windows 10 directly. By upgrading to Windows 10 your Windows 7 key was upgraded to a Windows 10 key.

Reactions: punkncat

Cudois

Prominent
Nov 29, 2019
You can create a Windows 10 media disk like I said and use your Windows 7 key and it should be fine. You might not even need to type the key in when in Windows when connected to the internet it should reactivate by itself. Don't install Windows 7 first. Just go for Windows 10 directly. By upgrading to Windows 10 your Windows 7 key was upgraded to a Windows 10 key.

Yea, it just now gave me the option to choose between Win7 and Win10, so everything should be fine I think!
Thank you for the help!

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
If I have to buy a new SSD, which 500 GB one would you guys recommend ? I had the Crucial MX and would like to try something new then :D

There are a lot of great choices out there. Really 1TB is the best size to go for right now in terms of value for money, but there are some good value 500GB options as well:

Personally I would choose the Samsung 870 Evo for a 500GB drive, or the Samsung 870 QVO for 1TB

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
You might not even need to type the key in when in Windows when connected to the internet it should reactivate by itself. Don't install Windows 7 first. Just go for Windows 10 directly. By upgrading to Windows 10 your Windows 7 key was upgraded to a Windows 10 key.

When you install your OS and it comes to the point asking for the key just say you don't have one. When it connects it will authenticate from your hardware ID. Nemisia is on point with this.

Cudois

Prominent
Nov 29, 2019
thank you guys! win10 runs fine now on the HDD

I'll try to test out the old SSD on a different computer and if not I will buy a new one!

thanks for the help!

Cudois

Prominent
Nov 29, 2019
Hi, I have another question !

I just went and got the new SSD and installed win10 on it after resetting my old system on the HDD via Windows.

Everything went fine, Win10 is on the SSD an runs well. But my HDD does not show up.
I already noticed in the Win Setup that I couldn't choose between 2 drives, only one (the ssd)

But when I go into Boot Menu F12 at the start, it shows me all 3, the SSD, the HDD and the external.
And it does show up in Bios in ATA Port Information.

It's also not available in DiskManagement. What did I do wrong ? :D
Having a hard time explaining this, sorry if this is confusing.

Greetings!

Last edited:

Cudois

Prominent
Nov 29, 2019
Got a little update...

It's actually the other way around.

My HDD still shows up, runs fine and has Win10 on it.

When I try to start the WinSetup from the external one I can't choose the new SSD only the HDD.

The SSD does show up in BIOS, Boot Menu and in Windows only not in Disk Management.

I tried different SATA cables and ports on the mainboard, all the same.