PC just for browsing internet

Apr 15, 2018
Hello. I'm looking to build my grandfather a pc for his birthday. He has a pretty old one that stopped working. He'll only be using it to browse the internet to read news or watch youtube on a 720p monitor so it doesn't need to be strong. I already have a case, and a hard drive and a power supply, and I need help with what components I should put inside. I'm only looking to spend 100$ tops. I will be buying used. Thank you in advance :)

Solution

Yes but that is a 125W CPU that is unlocked for overclocking, that's kind of overkill for something as old as it is. It still costs more than other CPUs from that era. You'd be just as well off buying a Core 2 Quad Q6600 for less than $10 or even a Core 2 Duo E6700 if you can't find a quad-core compatible motherboard for cheap.

2sidedpolygon

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018
For $100, your only real option is to buy used. I'd recommend a Chromebook, as they're cheap, easy-to-use, and optimized well for Chrome (Go figure). Chromebooks are laptops, of course, so, if you want a desktop, I can't really give you much of a part list as you'd, again, have to buy used, and it's hard to predict prices and/or availability. I think a Chromebook will be best for this use case, though.

Apr 15, 2018
Chromebooks are a lot more than 100$. Since I already have some parts it's going to be a pc. Thanks for the suggestion though. Also there is a great used market where I live so im gonna buy parts. I also have 2 gb ddr2 memory so a ddr2 machine would be great

Yes but that is a 125W CPU that is unlocked for overclocking, that's kind of overkill for something as old as it is. It still costs more than other CPUs from that era. You'd be just as well off buying a Core 2 Quad Q6600 for less than $10 or even a Core 2 Duo E6700 if you can't find a quad-core compatible motherboard for cheap.

Solution