[SOLVED] Pc just randomly shut down while I was playing COD and now no display just black screen after windows logo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2020
Hi there,

My computer is 4 years old already but this is the first time I got this problem.

Basically i was playing COD at night and the pc just shut down.
After rebooting there was no HDMI signal anymore to both of my monitors. I got the DVI cable out and it had some signal however it gave me black screen after the windows logo.

I didnt remember my BIOS password so I restarted settings via taking out CMOS battery however when I entered the BIOS it worked for like 3 seconds and froze. Same thing happens every time, there is even a display tear in BIOS.

Now what is weird is that I could still access system recovery screen after turning on and off my PC 3 times.

I tried reinstalling my windows via USB however i go through procedure and it gets me to like proper windows screen where I can see desktop like normally and even use programs but after 3 minutes my screen just goes black and again I cant access windows anymore after I restart.

Also before that I could access safe mode desktop via advanced recovery and just stay there however lately I have even been struggling to get to advanced recovery tools because my DVI signal goes out.

The weird thing is I can access windows installation screen if I boot from USB but as I said after I install the screen just goes black after 3 minutes and same issues begin again.

I recently changed my HDD to SSD samsung EVO because my HDD got faulty. Also I upgraded RAM recently however I tried sticking just one ram and it still the same things happening. Ive been playing just fine tho lately.

I dont know which part is bad? Can it be that due to upgrade of additional SSD and RAM the PSU got faulty? But then again BIOS screen is teary and freeze so maybe it's motherboard?

Aug 9, 2020
full system spec? include make and model of the psu

Motheboard: MSI 110M Pro-VD
CPU: I5 6500
RAM: 8GB KINGSTON KVR21IN15S8/8 DDR4 (original) + upgraded to 8GB CRUCIAL CT8G4DFS8266 DDR4
GPU: 1060 6GB EVGA
SSD: Samsung EVO 860 250GB + Kingston SSD 128GB
PSU: Cooler Master 500w 80plus 230V (r5 500 acab b1)

2 monitors: one 1440p 144hz and another Acer VG 1080p

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020
I just realized that I have onboard graphics on my CPU i5 6500.

So i took out my GPU and also took out CMOS and drew all the power out by holding power button.

I inserted my DVI cable and now I can access desktop like normal without GPU but just onboard graphics.

Does this mean my 1060 EVGA GPU got fried? Or it is still possible that PSU not supplying enough power to GPU? Any way to test this?

Status
Not open for further replies.