Question PC keeps boot looping

funboyfun23

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
Hello,

I’ve recently been having issues with my PC boot looping. I turn it on, it stays on for about 2 seconds then turns off and repeats this process. I have a new motherboard and PSU so I’m unsure what the issue is. I’ve tried taking out the ram and putting it in again, I’ve tried just using one stick too. I’ve taken out the GPU, and I’ve made sure the cables are in properly.

My pc components are a 500W evgea bronze power supply, i5-6400, 16 gbs of ram, an ssd and a hybrid, and a GIGABYTE GA-H110-D3A mobo

Thanks

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
When did the issue arise?
Did the issue only start occurring after the new MB and PSU install?

Sooner sounds like PSU to me if it's not even POSTing.

Edit: Follow this guide completely and thoroughly first - I know you would have checked a few of these already, but it doesn't hurt to triple check as it really does fix 90% of problems with booting

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

davesnothere

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016
Remove everything off motherboard. Then make sure all of the screws that mount the motherboard are installed and evenly torqued so that the screws are not putting a bend in the motherboard as you install it. Attach power supply and case/front panel wires, Power on, you should get some beeps. Great! Now remove power, and install cpu and memory. Power it on. Set your bios, then power off, then connect drives, power on, install os.

Reactions: Luke Dawn

funboyfun23

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
When did the issue arise?
Did the issue only start occurring after the new MB and PSU install?

Sooner sounds like PSU to me if it's not even POSTing.

Edit: Follow this guide completely and thoroughly first - I know you would have checked a few of these already, but it doesn't hurt to triple check as it really does fix 90% of problems with booting

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Ummm this issue arised a while back when I accidentally spilled some water on my PC. The computer was dead, so someone recommended I replace the PSU and motherboard. The new parts came in yesterday, and now it turns on but only for a few seconds then it loops.

I’ve taken out the cpu and ram as a test and it still does the same thing.

Thanks for your reply

funboyfun23

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
Remove everything off motherboard. Then make sure all of the screws that mount the motherboard are installed and evenly torqued so that the screws are not putting a bend in the motherboard as you install it. Attach power supply and case/front panel wires, Power on, you should get some beeps. Great! Now remove power, and install cpu and memory. Power it on. Set your bios, then power off, then connect drives, power on, install os.

I did those things, however it doesn’t beep when I turn it on with just the mobo, it just loops.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It will loop without a CPU in. In effect you want to breadboard by removing everything unnecessary, so basically you want your MB, CPU, Cooler, 1 stick of RAM, and PSU. Then boot and see what happens.

And have you followed the entire guide that I posted previously?

funboyfun23

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
It will loop without a CPU in. In effect you want to breadboard by removing everything unnecessary, so basically you want your MB, CPU, Cooler, 1 stick of RAM, and PSU. Then boot and see what happens.

And have you followed the entire guide that I posted previously?

Yes I went through the entire guide, and i believe I followed everything correctly. I plugged those components back in and it’s the same boot looping issue

Thanks

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
In which case if you've breadboarded and still cannot get past POST. I would lean towards PSU issue.

However the fact you spilt water on your PC not long back could have easily damaged something else, including your CPU. It would likely have to be a process of elimination to identify the problem component.

I would start with PSU - any way you're able to try the PSU on a different rig?

funboyfun23

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
In which case if you've breadboarded and still cannot get past POST. I would lean towards PSU issue.

However the fact you spilt water on your PC not long back could have easily damaged something else, including your CPU. It would likely have to be a process of elimination to identify the problem component.

I would start with PSU - any way you're able to try the PSU on a different rig?

Yup! We tried the PSU on another rig and it worked fine.

davesnothere

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016
I did those things, however it doesn’t beep when I turn it on with just the mobo, it just loops.

It should not do anything but turn on fans and maybe beep with Just the cpu installed.

But it should beep without a video card installed, or ram

Its probably the cpu, or the video card needs removing and inserting. Also if the heatsink is not installed correctly can cause odd booting behavior like that.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
If you tested the power supply on another rig, and it worked and you replaced the motherboard, then you have 2 left if the cpu is not working and u tried rams and still nothing, then i would say that your cpu is fried/dead.

funboyfun23

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
It should not do anything but turn on fans and maybe beep with Just the cpu installed.

But it should beep without a video card installed, or ram

Its probably the cpu, or the video card needs removing and inserting. Also if the heatsink is not installed correctly can cause odd booting behavior like that.

Yeah all it does is turn on the fans for maybe two seconds and then turn off again. I’ve tried removing and reinserting the gpu, and other components as well.

funboyfun23

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
If you tested the power supply on another rig, and it worked and you replaced the motherboard, then you have 2 left if the cpu is not working and u tried rams and still nothing, then i would say that your cpu is fried/dead.

Yeah I’ve tried swapping the ram into different slots, and I’ve tried leaving just one peice of ram in as well. My guess it’s the cpu at this point as well. I was going to take it to a computer repair shop to get their opinion, as they have a bunch of different components they can put in to test to see what’s wrong