[SOLVED] Pc keeps booting into bios first

tiagocosta90

Honorable
Apr 18, 2014
Greetings friends a while ago when i booted the pc it booted into the bios warning me of a power surge protection being activated, after that the pc always boots into the bios first, i can still boot into the os from the bios but i cant fix it i even updated the bios and it remsins the same my board is an asus h97 pro gamer ,after the boot the america megatrends image pops up with the info of my board and cpu + the ram and says usbdevices total:0 drive,1keyboard,1mouse,2hubs next is the info of my dvd reader and the hdd and finaly says please enter setup to recover bios seting.
Press f1 to run setup,
How can i fix this?

@tiagocosta90 It sounds like the EEPROM (the chip that stores the BIOS and settings) has been damaged. I assume restoring factory default values in BIOS does not help. I'm a bit surprised that you don't see "CMOS checksum error" somewhere on the screen. If it is damage to the EEPROM, the only fix would be replacing the chip ( this is the chip in the socket next to your SATA ports). You can check with ASUS and see if they sell them or check EBAY or something.

It could also be the battery on the motherboard, but the symptoms don't sounds quite right.

There is a small chance that something else is broken (fried) on your motherboard, but it's surprising that the system runs just fine after getting past this BIOS issue.

tiagocosta90

Honorable
Apr 18, 2014
So my only option is to contact asus? The board is way past waranty, im afraid to mess up with pc i would rather leave it to the professionals, lol other than that the pc is running ok i can spend whole afternoons gaming and works fine

It adds 30 seconds (?) to your boot time. A pain in the butt, but it doesn't seem to affect performance or stability, so I can understand you deciding to just live with it.

Like Grobe said, it could be the battery ... that will run you about $3 and is super easy to replace.

The next step up would be replacing the EEPROM. I saw them on EBAY for $15 ish. Also and easy repair.

tiagocosta90

Honorable
Apr 18, 2014
A few Seconds more yes , a little more boot time doesnt bother me im a patient fellow, i just dont want it to get worse overtime but i guess time kills everything even my gaming pc, i did notice however at the back of the board near the cpu socket where the backplate of the cooler stands there are scratch marks on the board not the pathways for the circuits but scratches like it shorted and made a little dent on the board it looks like coobweebs i almost missed it , shouldnt the board have protection against surges? And my psu isnt crap a great psu for that matter corsair rm750i it says that has surge protection, with a 4790k and a msi 1070