Question pc keeps booting into bios.

Aug 23, 2021
EDIT: fixed it by moving my hdd to my second slot. this finally allowed me to boot consistently. ty to everyone

for some odd reason my pc recently started to boot into bios pretty much randomly. it does not detect any of my two drives, an ssd that i use for my os and hdd for storage.

I know for a fact the drives are connected because i can boot into the ubuntu installer which will recognise both drives. right now its refusing to detect my boot drive, boot order is correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: mmp09
Aug 23, 2021
Specs?

What you've tried so far, besides using bootable Ubuntu media?
this same problem is happening on both windows and ubuntu, ive reinstalled both numerous times each time with a clean install,
Specs?

specs are:
Cpu: i7 6700
Mobo: MS-B901
Gpu: Gtx 1070
SSD: seems to be a 256gb kingston
HD:1tb

For some reason when i turned safe boot off it worked ONCE, i was able to get into ubuntu then i restarted my pc and now it isnt booting into it yet again. enabled and redisabled safe boot again and its still not booting.

Aug 23, 2021
Specs?

UPDATE: Ok i restarted it one more time and now it showed the windows recovery menu???!?!?! i do not have windows installed so i think my ssd still has the windows boot loader or something and that corrupted it?

Aug 23, 2021
What if you disconnect HDD and keep only the OS drive and check again?
well good thing is that this seems to let me boot into ubuntu whenever i want however as in my reply above it detects windows boot manager and i have to always manually select ubuntu in grub. it probably thinks its dual booting and its also very irritating plus the fact that i need that hdd.

Try booting specifically to the installation media using the one time shortcut in the BIOS or Boot menu screens for your installer media. Without ANY drives attached to the system. If you can boot the installer media then you probably need to use a bootable partition manager and eliminate all partitions on the drive, before moving forward, or change the boot order in the BIOS to boot directly to your installer media. If it's detecting the WBM then that's a problem, as there shouldn't be one, and it's likely from an old installation.

TRENDING THREADS