Question PC keeps crashing after component upgrade, help appreciated.

N0stradamu5

Commendable
Oct 7, 2021
Hello, get ready for a wall of text, since I've tried to the best of my knowledge to fix this, but it continues to happen.

So I bought a Ryzen 7 3800X and a B550 Aorus Elite to upgrade from my intel i5 6600k and msi Z170A gaming pro carbon.

Formatted the pc and installed the new components. PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor 3.90 GHz
Motherboard: B550 Aorus Elite
Ram: 4x 4GB DDR4 HyperX Fury
SSD/HDD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500Gb / WDC WDS 120Gb
GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
PSU: Cougar GEC 750W 80+gold (one and a half years old, tops)
Chassis: Corsair Carbide 175R
Monitor: ASUS VP248 / BenQ GL2460

After everything installed, new components and corresponding drivers, my pc started having random restarts. No BDOS, just total blackout and reboot.

Installed HWMonitor to check if it was some sort of temperature or overheating making the system trigger the restart. Nothing was, or even got above 80ºC.

After some searching and reinstalling stuff , sent the new components back to the shop for review. Nothing , according to them , everything was working as intended.

Came back home and reinstalled everything. This time really took my time installing all drivers correctly and doing every step to prevent issues.

Now the pc doesn't blackout or restart, it simply freezes. With apparently no pattern to it, meaning , i can be playing a high memory/graphic usage game and it happens, so it does when i'm just browsing youtube with a couple more tabs open on chrome.
Also, it can happen after 4or more hours of usage , and the same after 10 min or so.

Checked event viewer and the error logs are as follows, by order of appearance:

- Session "OWEtKernelLogger" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000022

- The previous system shutdown at 08:41:25 on ‎06/‎10/‎2021 was unexpected.

- (Critical) The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

- Audit events have been dropped by the transport.

- Error setting traits on Provider {8444a4fb-d8d3-4f38-84f8-89960a1ef12f}. Error: 0xC0000001

What i've done so far to try to fix it:

Clean install of all the windows updates, chipset and BIOS updates.
Clean install of NVIDIA drivers using DDU to completely clear all previous info and reinstall with new from NVIDIA website.
Adjusting the AMD power settings to High Performance.
Adjusting CPU power consuption to minimum to 5%.
Ran a PSU Calculator to figure if it was a power issue, says that with my components id' need a 380W PSU. Mine is 750W 80+Gold.
Heck, I even changed the extension cord where it all was plugged to a new one.

If someone could please help me , i would deeply appreciate it.

PS: sorry for any misspellings or anything, as english aint my 1st language.

Last edited:
I don't recall if MWMonitor will let you check your PSU voltages but HWInfo will.
Regardless.
I would check them....the main voltages should stay within 5% of 12, 5 and 3.3 always.
Most newer motherboards will report the voltages.
It seems like it might be a PSU issue....even though you have plenty of power....it may be failing.

Reactions: N0stradamu5

N0stradamu5

Commendable
Oct 7, 2021
Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded HWInfo and my voltages seem fine ...

My power reporting deviation tho , doesnt look very good. Meaning from what i understood, me cpu is underperforming.
Tested full cpu load with AIDA64 while HWInfo monitored activity.

N0stradamu5

Commendable
Oct 7, 2021
I don't recall if MWMonitor will let you check your PSU voltages but HWInfo will.
Regardless.
I would check them....the main voltages should stay within 5% of 12, 5 and 3.3 always.
Most newer motherboards will report the voltages.
It seems like it might be a PSU issue....even though you have plenty of power....it may be failing.

anything i can do to solve the power deviation issue ?

N0stradamu5

Commendable
Oct 7, 2021

Here are the other voltages.

I'll post a small explanation of the power deviation from the HWinfo forums.

"In short: Some motherboard manufacturers intentionally declare an incorrect (too small) motherboard specific reference value in AGESA. Since AM4 Ryzen CPUs rely on telemetry sourced from the motherboard VRM to determine their power consumption, declaring an incorrect reference value will affect the power consumption seen by the CPU. For instance, if the motherboard manufacturer would declare 50% of the correct value, the CPU would think it consumes half the power than it actually does. In this case, the CPU would allow itself to consume twice the power of its set power limits, even when at stock. It allows the CPU to clock higher due to the effectively lifted power limits however, it also makes the CPU to run hotter and potentially negatively affects its life-span, same ways as overclocking does. The difference compared to overclocking or using AMD PBO, is that this is done completely clandestine and that in the past, there has been no way for most of the end-users to detect it, or react to it."

There you go ...
Oh, 2400mhz ram. Ryzen cpus are very sensitive to memory performance.
You really want 3200mhz - 3600mhz ram with ryzen.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3508-ryzen-3000-memory-benchmark-best-ram-fclk-uclock-mclock

Your 4x4GB ram configuration isn't helping either. Are all those modules from same ram kit?
Or are you're combining multiple ram kits together? If so, then compatibility issues are possible.

For time being you can try increasing dram voltage to 1.35V and see, if that improves stability.

Ultimately - you should get a new 2x8GB ram kit 3200mhz - 3600mhz.

Reactions: jay32267

N0stradamu5

Commendable
Oct 7, 2021

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3508-ryzen-3000-memory-benchmark-best-ram-fclk-uclock-mclock

Your 4x4GB ram configuration isn't helping either. Are all those modules from same ram kit?
Or are you're combining multiple ram kits together? If so, then compatibility issues are possible.

For time being you can try increasing dram voltage to 1.35V and see, if that improves stability.

Thanks a lot for the reply mate.

Turns out I didn't even had my XMP enabled.
I'm gonna try tweaking the voltage and check stability. Also asking my bro to bring his RAM's to try here.

If all fails i guess i'll just buy a new set.
Any thoughts/opinions on the best brands ? been quite fond of Corsair lately, for pretty much any components.

N0stradamu5

Commendable
Oct 7, 2021

So , ended up buying 2x 8Gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LX Black 3200Mhz.

Set everything up , and reseted BIOS to the defaults since i had been tweaking the RAM voltages as you suggested ...

The problem persists , while playing games or doing anything , the pc just stutters or lags. Sometimes freezes completely and i'm forced to use the power button to reset it .

I'm really getting annoyed now , since there's no pattern and since while stress testing the pc , everything seems fine.
1st time I upgrade from intel to AMD, hasn't been a good experience so far :(

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So , ended up buying 2x 8Gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LX Black 3200Mhz.

Set everything up , and reseted BIOS to the defaults since i had been tweaking the RAM voltages as you suggested ...

The problem persists , while playing games or doing anything , the pc just stutters or lags. Sometimes freezes completely and i'm forced to use the power button to reset it .

I'm really getting annoyed now , since there's no pattern and since while stress testing the pc , everything seems fine.
1st time I upgrade from intel to AMD, hasn't been a good experience so far :(
Clean install of all the windows updates

Is that saying you did a fresh windows install?

TRENDING THREADS