[SOLVED] PC keeps crashing after XMP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 13, 2020
Hey guys, I just finished building a new PC yesterday and today i decided to get the full out of my RAM. I went into my BIOS and activated XMP, I did not touch any other settings. After i tried to save and exit my PC restarted but it wouldn't POST it kept restarting by itself and then it took me back to BIOS. I quickly undid any changes and tried to restart. Well i got into Windows but after few moments i got the ''Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart :('' error and on other instances when i restarted windows would not boot up programs on start such as Discord iCUE and crash instantly again giving me the ''Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart :('' error. Another issue was when the windows logo comes up on boot i would get a black screen with loading dots for about 1 minute before getting into windows.

I tried to clear CMOS but nothing changed, Windows kept crashing. Then took out a 8GB G.skill ripjaws v ram stick from my old PC and tried to boot with that. Everything seemed normal, i tested it or about 30 minutes. All programs were starting normally and did not notice any problems, unfortunately i had to go to work and could not test further.

Here are my specs:

ASUS Strix Z490-E gaming motherboard
i9 10900k (no overclock)
Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 64GB DDR4 3600 Mhz (16GB per stick)
ASUS Strix GTX 1080
Corsair H150i XT PRP
Corsair AX860i

Please let me know of any solution for this problem. I did not manage to test out each stick individually for damage at the time, also i was afraid to cause further damage.

EDIT: BIOS and all drivers were up to date.

Solution
Try it with one stick of the RAM at a time. Sounds like it might be unstable with all 4.

If it boots with all individually, try it with 2 etc etc.

Also, run a few passes of memtest86 to see if there are issues. Might just be bad luck and a faulty stick somewhere.

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Try it with one stick of the RAM at a time. Sounds like it might be unstable with all 4.

Also, run a few passes of memtest86 to see if there are issues. Might just be bad luck and a faulty stick somewhere.

Solution
Sep 13, 2020

Thank you for your reply, I will try that once i get a chance but do you think it's normal for RAM to act this way after XMP is enabled? Or even after it's disabled?

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Thank you for your reply, I will try that once i get a chance but do you think it's normal for RAM to act this way after XMP is enabled? Or even after it's disabled?

No, I don't think its normal per se but having had RAM issues myself, its not unexpected that 4 sticks of RAM would have some issues.
That coupled with the simple fact that electronic equipment of any nature can be faulty on arrival.

Are they all from the same kit? I bought 2 kits and ran in to issues, despite them being the same brand and model (speed and timings the same) but turned out the dies were different, one kit was Samsung B Die and the other kit Micron E Die.

4 sticks putting more stress on the CPU memory controller. Forget running them at 3600MHz. You should activate XMP and try running them at a lower speed until it sticks. Just try 3000 or 3200MHz. Just to see if you still have instability issues.

Or you could do it manually and probably get to 3600MHz with fiddling with the timings etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS