PC Keeps crashing, CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

Jul 25, 2018
I woke up yesterday, turned my PC on and after a few moments it crashed giving me the error CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT and after restarting it tons of times it has given me another error WHEA_UNCONTROLLABLE_ERROR.

I am completely lost at what to do now and please if anyone can help me. I've re-seated my CPU, my RAM, I've re-installed windows off of a flash drive, I literally do not know what's causing it.

Help!

Jul 25, 2018

I haven't updated my BIOS as of yet, I am doing so as we speak. And yeah I recreated the installer with Windows Media Creation Tools and reinstalled it.

Spinachy

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
This sometimes happens when overclocking.
If you are not overclocking, then perhaps your BIOS has lost some settings.
Reset your BIOS to factory defaults, and try again.
If that solves the problem, then probably the coin-cell battery on your motherboard will need replacing.

Jul 25, 2018

I've reset my BIOS to default already and had to downclock my CPU to 4.3ghz ( I have an i7 8700k and it was at 4.7 and I didn't touch the voltages, I just set it and forgot about it basically) And as of now it's only stable on windows at 4.3ghz @ 1.25v

This just randomly happened too I have been running it on 4.7 ghz for about 4 months now.

Jul 25, 2018
@Spinachy I’m on mobile and I have no idea how to reply to you, but all hardware in my PC was purchased 4 months ago excluding the ram which was purchased around 2 years ago.

Is there a way I can pinpoint the issue of the problem??

Jul 25, 2018

Back on a computer now so hopefully this gets to you, but all hardware in my PC was purchased 4 months ago excluding the ram which was purchased around 2 years ago.

Is there a way I can pinpoint the issue of the problem??
Like is it my cpu? my ram?

Spinachy

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
There is no easy way to get to the bottom of this problem. I suggest you swap out components, one by one, until you find the faulty one. Of course, this means that you will need 2 computers, with compatible components. Perhaps the best way is to take your computer to a retailer or repair store who can do this for you.

Jul 25, 2018

I ended up figuring out that my CPU was the problem after swapping everything else into a Ryzen system, it all worked fine. I have sent the 8700k for and RMA by intel. Thanks for the replies

1. may have bad ram chip. if you have two chips pull one and see if error stops or windows will install and run fine.
2. may be bad memory controller on cpu. run the intel cpu test to see if it fine.
3. bad power from power supply. look in the bios and with hardware info make sure the 12v rail is within atx spec and holding. if you cant see any error try a test power supply and use only the onboard video chipset.