Question PC keeps crashing in every game I have ?

Jan 6, 2022
So, this issue showed up yesterday afternoon when i tried playing Initial Unity, and the screen turned into a bunch of vertical lines and the sound glitched. Since then, it kept doing the same in every other more demanding fame i tried, turning into red pixels, showing red lines, straight up restarting the PC (not a single BSOD though). Since then i tried unistalling some apps i downloaded lately, did a virus scan (0 threats), replugged every cable on both ends, and is planning to clean the interior of the computer soon. I couldnt find any direct answers to this issue and parents obviously won't let me upgrade the pc or even just open it up unless i 100% know what im doing.

For further detail just ask

AMD Athlon x4 760K
AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
No idea about MB, nor PSU, but it never had any similar issue in my 2+ years using it.

For further details just ask, ty.

Ralston18

Titan
2+ year old PSU - likely suspect.

Especially if the PSU has a history of heavy gaming use.

My suggestions:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Copy down Motherboard (make, model, rev.) and PSU information: make, model, wattage, efficiency ("metal": bronze, silver, gold, etc..)

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connections, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Reassemble and test.

Jan 6, 2022

My suggestions:

Copy down Motherboard (make, model, rev.) and PSU information: make, model, wattage, efficiency ("metal": bronze, silver, gold, etc..)

Verify by sight and feel that all connections, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Reassemble and test.

Alright. The only problem with that is that im still somewhat a kid. I will look into it though. (Yes, i know how to dis/reassemble a pc, just afraid to.)

If the issue still persists, do i need to change any parts?

Jan 6, 2022
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu
check gpu temp during the game?

full spec
(whatever i found in msinfo):
-cpu: AMD Athlon X4 760K, 3800Mhz, 2 cores, 4 logical processors
MB: (Gigabyte) F2A88XM-HD3
Installed RAM: 8.00GB
for PSU i will have to pop the side off.
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series, no idea about exact model,but has multiple exposed fans so idk. For things i cant check in any software i will post an update later.

The PC Case is a stock Dell XPS Tower 8700 if it means anything.

Jan 6, 2022

My suggestions:

Reassemble and test.

Also here are the MB specs: User manual Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 (English - 36 pages)

Ralston18

Titan
First do what you can with respect to software.

Try "sfc /scannow" and "dism"

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

DISM Overview | Microsoft Docs

Be sure to back up important data beforehand. Which should be a regular habit for everyone. At least 2 x to locations off of your computer. Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Physical cleaning

A two year old system is likely to have some loose connections and the PSU itself may be nearing its' designed in EOL (End of Life).

And the case will need to be opened to identify the PSU.

Do you have a knowledgeable family member or friend who could help you open up the case and inspect?

Someone acceptable to you and your parents.

Also read a few tutorials. For example:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbes...9/how-to-clean-your-computer/?sh=4619feb2e94e

There are both good and bad videos on line. Overall the key is to be very careful. Do not just blast away with compressed air. Follow the instructions. Do not allow the fan blades to over spin - could damage the bearings.

Jan 6, 2022

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Be sure to back up important data beforehand. Which should be a regular habit for everyone. At least 2 x to locations off of your computer. Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Physical cleaning

A two year old system is likely to have some loose connections and the PSU itself may be nearing its' designed in EOL (End of Life).

Do you have a knowledgeable family member or friend who could help you open up the case and inspect?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbes...9/how-to-clean-your-computer/?sh=4619feb2e94e

There are both good and bad videos on line. Overall the key is to be very careful. Do not just blast away with compressed air. Follow the instructions. Do not allow the fan blades to over spin - could damage the bearings.
I do know how to open up the case myself n stuff, but first i'll need to get permission somehow. Will try system repair, thanks

Jan 6, 2022

Physical cleaning

It did end up finding some corrupt files (After I tried running it in powershell first)
After i managed to get a normal boot, i ran it, and so far so good. will post an update in a few weeks abt. the long term results. I am planning to look into the case regardless.

Jan 6, 2022
Well done.

Nothing wrong per se with attempting to run in Powershell.

Curious as to what happened when you tried that? Thanks.
Straight up nothing happened. It simply passed the command off as "unknown"

Also so far it seems it was a software issue, as atm, im not experiencing any of the issues i listed above.

Ralston18

Titan
Likely just a typo or possibly some syntax error. Did you copy in the quote marks?

When I have errors, Powershell usually provides a response in red font. Maybe 3 or 4 lines worth. And cryptic.

Remember that if you are using some Powershell cmdlet (Gets are very handy) many websites provide the cmdlet in a format that can be easily copied from the website page and then pasted directly into your PS window at the PS> prompt.

No need to retype the cmdlet line.

The tradeoff being that you must pay close attention to whatever that copy and paste cmdlet is.

Gets are for the most part very safe. Basically just RO (Read Only) - nothing is changed.

Deletes, changes, stops, etc. are much more dangerous.

Be sure that over the next few weeks (and actually afterwards) that you keep up with your backups. If files are being corrupted there is some reason for that happening or maybe just starting to happen.

Be ready to recover, restore, reinstall.

Jan 6, 2022
Likely just a typo or possibly some syntax error. Did you copy in the quote marks?

When I have errors, Powershell usually provides a response in red font. Maybe 3 or 4 lines worth. And cryptic.

Remember that if you are using some Powershell cmdlet (Gets are very handy) many websites provide the cmdlet in a format that can be easily copied from the website page and then pasted directly into your PS window at the PS> prompt.

No need to retype the cmdlet line.

The tradeoff being that you must pay close attention to whatever that copy and paste cmdlet is.

Gets are for the most part very safe. Basically just RO (Read Only) - nothing is changed.

Deletes, changes, stops, etc. are much more dangerous.

Be sure that over the next few weeks (and actually afterwards) that you keep up with your backups. If files are being corrupted there is some reason for that happening or maybe just starting to happen.

Be ready to recover, restore, reinstall.
I have no idea how sfc temporarily managed to solve my problems, but in the end, it turned out i have a dying GPU.

Considering my system specs (mx PSU is a pro 82+ (525W, bronze efficency), and that i'll most likely upgrade my CPU aswell, what GPUs would you recommend (Preferably not high-end, i have a part-time income, but i do have patience.)

Ralston18

Titan
Not able to recommend a specific GPU - just too many factors involved nowadays:

Starting with pricing (your budget) followed by general and geographic availability (in-store, online) for any given GPU.

The key is to understand the graphics requirements of the apps you use and the games you play. Most software provides a listing of hardware (GPU) requirements in the form of "minimal", "recommended", and "best". You do not want minimal and you do want as much best as you can afford. Or even be able obtain from a store or online.

Then you must consider what GPUs your system will support: PCIx slots available and of course the power requirements of the GPU. I use the GPU's recommended PSU wattage as a starting point. Then add in the power requirements of all the other components but also using the high end of the wattage range if a wattage range is presented.

Very much can result in an immediate wattage over estimate. But does allow room for growth and probably more real life power demands.

Overall, the PSU is a critical component and the pro 82 likely needs to be replaced.

My thought is that unless there is specific evidence that the GPU is dying then a new PSU is warranted. Could be that both are needed - one step at a time....

Suggested links:

Best Power Supplies of 2021 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware

Not with the idea that a new PSU needs to be purchased. The purpose is for you to apply 2 or 3 of the calculators to determine the power requirements that will be necessary to support your computer and all installed components. Including GPU.

As for GPUs:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

There may be other comments and suggestions.

Jan 6, 2022
Not able to recommend a specific GPU - just too many factors involved nowadays:

Starting with pricing (your budget) followed by general and geographic availability (in-store, online) for any given GPU.

The key is to understand the graphics requirements of the apps you use and the games you play. Most software provides a listing of hardware (GPU) requirements in the form of "minimal", "recommended", and "best". You do not want minimal and you do want as much best as you can afford. Or even be able obtain from a store or online.

Then you must consider what GPUs your system will support: PCIx slots available and of course the power requirements of the GPU. I use the GPU's recommended PSU wattage as a starting point. Then add in the power requirements of all the other components but also using the high end of the wattage range if a wattage range is presented.

Very much can result in an immediate wattage over estimate. But does allow room for growth and probably more real life power demands.

Overall, the PSU is a critical component and the pro 82 likely needs to be replaced.

My thought is that unless there is specific evidence that the GPU is dying then a new PSU is warranted. Could be that both are needed - one step at a time....

Suggested links:

Best Power Supplies of 2021 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware

Not with the idea that a new PSU needs to be purchased. The purpose is for you to apply 2 or 3 of the calculators to determine the power requirements that will be necessary to support your computer and all installed components. Including GPU.

As for GPUs:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

There may be other comments and suggestions.
Since if i got a new GPU the CPU would give it a strong bottleneck. So i decided to just build a new PC altogether from what i can. I asked for a bit of help from a friend who is more experienced in the field and put together a decent build rather than just a new GPU

Getting a new case 1st as my current one cant house an ATX mobo

As for mobo it's most likely gonna be a B450, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon RX 580, 2 x 8gb 3200MHz Samsung DDR4 and an EVGA BR600 80+.

Anyways, thanks for your help (and time) and have a good day/night.

Jan 6, 2022
Since if i got a new GPU the CPU would give it a strong bottleneck. So i decided to just build a new PC altogether from what i can. I asked for a bit of help from a friend who is more experienced in the field and put together a decent build rather than just a new GPU

Getting a new case 1st as my current one cant house an ATX mobo

As for mobo it's most likely gonna be a B450, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon RX 580, 2 x 8gb 3200MHz Samsung DDR4 and an EVGA BR600 80+.

Anyways, thanks for your help (and time) and have a good day/night.
As for budget, i dont have a set budget, but i obviously want to keep it at a reasonable price. The build listed above comes out as 800-900$.