Question PC keeps crashing on GTAV Online startup

May 21, 2020
I have a Ryzen 2700x and a MSI B450 Pro Carbon Mobo. When I start GTAV online the entire PC crashes and the mobo ezdebug CPU LED is on. The only way to restart the PC is to turn off the PSU itself and wait a few seconds. When the PC crashes the Fans and LEDs remain on. The PC is on the Ryzen Power plan and all the drivers are regularly updated including the BIOS. Is there a program that can be used to log everything in the event of a crash in order to make trouble shooting easier? I have an RTX 2070 Super and the PC has handled other games such as Mondern warfare, Witcher 3, Sea of Thieves, Valorant, and ARK very well.

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
This is most likely a driver issue. You could try reinstalling your video drivers and making sure you are running directX 11 in the game.
I was having some crash to desktop issues with the game on a slightly overclocked gpu, but the game runs completely stabe at stock speeds, so that might be something to look into if you're overclocking anything.
There could be optimization issues since it's an older game running on newer hardware, my system is mostly circa 2015 so maybe i don't have some of those issues.
I know the game is locked at 60fps, so if you're trying to bypass that and increase the frames, that could be causing instability as well.
Sorry i can't be of more help, but hopefully something i mentioned will get you in the right direction.

May 21, 2020
This is most likely a driver issue. You could try reinstalling your video drivers and making sure you are running directX 11 in the game.
I was having some crash to desktop issues with the game on a slightly overclocked gpu, but the game runs completely stabe at stock speeds, so that might be something to look into if you're overclocking anything.
There could be optimization issues since it's an older game running on newer hardware, my system is mostly circa 2015 so maybe i don't have some of those issues.
I know the game is locked at 60fps, so if you're trying to bypass that and increase the frames, that could be causing instability as well.
Sorry i can't be of more help, but hopefully something i mentioned will get you in the right direction.
Thanks I've reinstalled drivers but its still crashing. Im gonna borrow my friend's PSU and stick it in my build to see if thats the issue but I highly doubt it since this PC has been functional for months.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I got the 'free' version of this the other day and had to go in and re-install items associated with DX11 and C+ something IIRC. Mine was hard locking and crashing to desktop or reset.
It still plays with a bit of stutter. The login process is a pain, lol...but it's 100GB of "free" goodness, right?

Reactions: bryanc723