PC keeps crashing when trying to reset or refresh

Kerbshock

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
Everytime I try to reset or refresh my windows 8 pc it crashes after restarting and stops the entire process. I really need to reset it but i dont know how to fix the crashing problem. Please help!

Solution
Ok, the next time it does this, immediately go to control panel to check out the event viewer log under administrative tools, and check to see what's causing this problem, it should definitely list the crash as an error/critical problem. If you highlight it and read what it says, it should give you some kinda hint as to what may be the cause.

Also, try doing a system restore to revert back to a date the PC wasn't doing this. Right click the start button, and go to "system," on the left pane choose "system protection," then click on "system restore" and follow along with the prompts.

**Now, if you're trying to Re-install Windows 8 completely. Try doing it on another known good working HDD first, if it works on that one, then you know...

TheWolf-Brigade

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Are you simply just trying to reboot the PC from the desktop? If so, are there any specific errors popping up in Windows? Did this problem start happening after a patch/update or a new app install?

Kerbshock

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014

I am not trying to reboot my PC. I am trying to reset it to factory settings. I have all my files that I want to keep backed up on my flash drive. When I try to reset my PC it crashes right after it reboots and loses progress.

TheWolf-Brigade

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Ok, the next time it does this, immediately go to control panel to check out the event viewer log under administrative tools, and check to see what's causing this problem, it should definitely list the crash as an error/critical problem. If you highlight it and read what it says, it should give you some kinda hint as to what may be the cause.

Also, try doing a system restore to revert back to a date the PC wasn't doing this. Right click the start button, and go to "system," on the left pane choose "system protection," then click on "system restore" and follow along with the prompts.

**Now, if you're trying to Re-install Windows 8 completely. Try doing it on another known good working HDD first, if it works on that one, then you know for certain it's an HDD problem. We need to eliminate possible causes before getting to the root.

Check for any loose connection leading to your motherboard and HDD as well, make sure you're grounded from ESD before you do.

Solution