PC keeps crashing while playing games

Jun 18, 2018
Ok so I'm super new to PC's, I've been a console player my whole life so stick with me here. I recently built my own PC and everything works excellent except for gaming (what I built it for LOL). I would say about 80% of the time I boot up a game, it will crash to the desktop with a notice from the game saying the game has crashed. The other 20% I'm able to actually play the game with no crashing. Sometimes it will crash right as I log into the game, other times it will crash after 5 mins of playing. For H1Z1 it gives me the error code G12, which states that it may be caused from a graphics driver issue. I've uninstalled my drivers multiple times using DDU and clean installed them from the NVIDIA website. I've reinstalled windows, ran memtest86, reinstalled all my drivers but this issue persists. My specs are as follows,

AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz
MSI B350 Tomahawk Socket AM4 AMD B350 chipset
WD Blue 1TB desktop Hard Disk Drive
Kingston A400 120 GB SATA3 SSD
Thermaltake Smart White 500W 80 plus certified Power Supply
ASUS Dual GeForce GTX 1060 3GB OC
Corsair Carbide Series Spec-04 ATX mid-tower tempered glass gaming case

Any help would be much appreciated and thanks for your time and knowledge!

games use 3d graphics which other things don't.

If there is an issue in your gpu or with the driver related to 3d it would cause only games to crash.

Do you have any other gpu to test with?

If you're still in the RMA window go for that. pc parts always have a small chance of not working and you just have to return them.

Jun 18, 2018

No I unfortunately don't have another GPU to test with and my RMA window just passed two days ago..

call them. still try they might help you out.

Jun 18, 2018

You think its forsure my GPU?

FFH

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
It could be a couple things. I would first check the drivers. You already uninstalled the windows, and the drivers, so that may not be the issue. I would also remove and reseat the GPU. It may be that it's not properly connected to the PCI express slot.

The slot could also be an issue. Your motherboard has 2 PCI express x16 slots. Try reeating your GPU to the other slot. If it works, then I would RMA the motherboard for a defective pci-e slot. The last thing, that would cause a problem, would be the PSU not providing enough power.

With a clean install and trying the drivers a few times, it's highly likely.

Jun 18, 2018

I've already tried reseating the GPU in the second PCI-e slot and I was still experiencing the crashing. Is there any way I can test the PSU?

If it wasn't getting enough power some crazy stuff would happen. It would probably turn off. It wouldn't only impact 3d engine.

Jun 18, 2018

Ok looks like I'll contact the store and see what they can do. Thanks so much guys for the information, I really appreciate it

FFH

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013

I was thinking that it would supply enough power at idle, but not under load when gaming. i was just throwing out ideas. I have a spare PSU, so I would just change it to see if it works. Unfortunately, I don't know how to test the power output. Are you having issues with other games or just H1Z1?

Jun 18, 2018

Is there any way it could be the RAM? No its literally every game..

pegasaurisrex

Proper
Jun 5, 2018
im having the same issue with my x470 AROUS GAMING 7 WIFI and Ryzen 7 2700x, i swapped out all my pc parts and nothing fixed it. (tried 2 different motherboards, the one listed above and a MSI x470 gaming pro carbon, tried both a GTX 1060 6GB and a GTX 970, went from a 600W PSU to a 750W i even tried a different 7 2700x, nothing fixed it) as far as i can tell, the 2nd gen ryzen chips are just new and thats the issue :/

lets pretend however that your issue and mine are somewhat different but the same issues, did you try to update the BIOS?

Jun 18, 2018

I'm scared to update my BIOS haha, have you tired to update it?

pegasaurisrex

Proper
Jun 5, 2018
its easy, just go to https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-TOMAHAWK and download the latest version of the bios, then load it onto a flash drive (it needs to be extracted from the zip file), then just restart your computer and open your bios, look for an option with the key word flash it it, for mine its "usb flash" but for my MSI x470 gaming pro carbon it was called EZ flash (yes... MSI is run by old men that try to be hip), then it will restart your computer with a new menu, it will look like a weird dumbed down version of a file explorer, and should only show the content of usb, just select the new version of the bios and wait... its that easy, and the only thing that you would need to worry about is if your pc shuts off. but as long as you dont hit the power button or the power doesn't go off you will be fine

Jun 18, 2018

So I exchanged my GPU and I'm still getting the same issue...