[SOLVED] PC keeps crashing with 4x8GB of RAM but runs fine with one set of 2x8 as well as the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 27, 2021
Hello, I've recently purchased an additional set of RAM sticks (CMW16GX4M2C3200C16) in order to expand my total capacity to 32GB. After installing the additional sticks, I started running into problems, sometimes the PC will boot normally but will BSOD in a while, or when I start to utilise the PC more, sometimes it won't boot at all, even sometimes prompting that some critical files are missing. Some of the codes included 0xc0000221, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, 0xc000021a. When running the sets independently there is no problem, after scanning both sets individually with memtest86, it passed with flying colours, but when running all 4 sticks at a time, it failed due to exceeding the 10000 error count. I have a report in an html format from running the new set of sticks as well as the one from running all 4. I tried running with XMP on (3200, 1.35v) and off (3200 1.2v).

Specs:
MOBO: Aorus B450 Elite rev 1.0
RAM original set: CMW16GX4M2C3200C16W
RAM new set: CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 XT

Solution
So, Ryzen has a limitation when 4 DIMM slots are populated. You may only get them running at 2933mhz. You might try set timings manually, but also bump your SOC voltage a notch to help with stability with all DIMMs in place. Try for lower speeds first. And if you get any success, then try the next strap up. Keep your mem voltage at 1.35 for all attempts.

edit: Agree with above^. Having a matched kit really helps with compatibility and having no issues (generally speaking).
Aug 27, 2021
So I can't really do much in terms of adjusting the clock speeds or voltages to get the RAM running stable, it's just the Ryzen way of life?

If this is any indication, everything but these 4 test ran fine:
Test 6 [Block move, 64-byte blocks]0/2 (0%)9969
Test 7 [Moving inversions, 32-bit pattern]0/2 (0%)14
Test 8 [Random number sequence]0/2 (0%)21
Test 9 [Modulo 20, ones & zeros]0/2 (0%)2

So, Ryzen has a limitation when 4 DIMM slots are populated. You may only get them running at 2933mhz. You might try set timings manually, but also bump your SOC voltage a notch to help with stability with all DIMMs in place. Try for lower speeds first. And if you get any success, then try the next strap up. Keep your mem voltage at 1.35 for all attempts.

edit: Agree with above^. Having a matched kit really helps with compatibility and having no issues (generally speaking).

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 27, 2021
Yeah, I knew that but I thought that these two would be only different in terms of the heatsing color and the pcb and modules would be a great match.
edit: guess they run additional tests to get these 4 stick kits running as best as possible.

Yeah, I knew that but I thought that these two would be only different in terms of the heatsing color and the pcb and modules would be a great match.
edit: guess they run additional tests to get these 4 stick kits running as best as possible.

Try setting timings manually as suggested. They may still work, just most likely not at 3200mhz. Often when there is a compatibility issue, they will run at the lowest common denominator which is why they are running at 2133mhz fine. 2133mhz being the default for most DIMMs.

Also, just to be clear. 2x8gb @3200mhz is much better for Ryzen than 4x8 at 2133. All apps, specially gaming will benefit of the faster ram with up to 15-20% increase in performance over 2133mhz. The downside as @USAFRet mentioned, is not having enough. Ryzen loves fast ram. Could be you have to get 2x16gb 3200mhz (dual ranked) to get the best bang from your system.

Aug 27, 2021
Okay, but if I managed to run the 4x8 at 2933 it would still be worse than 2x8 at 3200Mhz? How does RAM actually scale, because I'm a bit of a newbie willing to learn.

edit: Let's reiterate (if that's the right word for it)
Say we have 2x8GB 3200Mhz and 4x4 2800Mhz, which is better and for what, and why. Please ELI5

Last edited:

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED

4 DIMM has limitations? At the top-end, perhaps but not at pedestrian speeds.
Does this look like it doesn't work? https://d1ebmxcfh8bf9c.cloudfront.net/u79121/image_id_2516420.jpg
2nd place in Y-cruncher on Hwbot.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the kits worked with a bit of manual massaging, setting timings manually. Just can't expect them to work out of the box.

4 DIMM has limitations? At the top-end, perhaps but not at pedestrian speeds.
Does this look like it doesn't work? https://d1ebmxcfh8bf9c.cloudfront.net/u79121/image_id_2516420.jpg
2nd place in Y-cruncher on Hwbot.

Yes, there can be limitations with 4 DIMMs populated. This is a known issue. Whilst you may not have had any issues, others may have. For the most part this comes down the IMC of each individual chip. There are numerous threads on this forum and many others with this same issue.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the kits worked with a bit of manual massaging, setting timings manually. Just can't expect them to work out of the box.

I've literally been saying this for the last few posts.

Aug 27, 2021
Ok, so for a begginer to RAM ?overclocking?, what is the best course of action and when to know that it is time to stop. Right now I'm running at 4x8GB 2800Mhz at 1.3v, and it's running fine. If I increased the speed to 2933 at 1.3 and the crashes would happen again, should I then adjust the voltage? What should be the limit? The sticks are rated for 3200Mhz.
Update: seems to be running fine at 3000Mhz 1.35v.

Last edited:

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Ok, so for a begginer to RAM ?overclocking?, what is the best course of action and when to know that it is time to stop. Right now I'm running at 4x8GB 2800Mhz at 1.3v, and it's running fine. If I increased the speed to 2933 at 1.3 and the crashes would happen again, should I then adjust the voltage? What should be the limit? The sticks are rated for 3200Mhz.
Update: seems to be running fine at 3000Mhz 1.35v.

With Samsung C-die, the limit is whatever you can get out of 1.35-1.36 volts. They don't like any higher. Might kill em. For anything else, up to 1.5v should be fine. Without a fan blowing on them. In your case, granted it's not Samsung C-die, I wouldn't go over 1.40 volts, shouldn't be needed for 3200 Mhz. 1.1 volts on SOC.

Aug 27, 2021
With Samsung C-die, the limit is whatever you can get out of 1.35-1.36 volts. They don't like any higher. Might kill em. For anything else, up to 1.5v should be fine. Without a fan blowing on them. In your case, granted it's not Samsung C-die, I wouldn't go over 1.40 volts, shouldn't be needed for 3200 Mhz. 1.1 volts on SOC.
How to determine what dice I have?
edit:
I turned on XMP, but adjusted the frequency to 3066Mhz, and it seems to be running fine. Guess there aren'y any downsides since the frequency is so close to 3200.
I found an article on PC Gamer about memory "Ryzen Above", and in their tests it seems that, having 4x8GB of 3200Mhz RAM performed better than 2x8GB at 3600Mhz. But it was a comparison between 3200 C16 and 3600Mhz C18. And my sticks are rated for C16, and that's what I think they're running at RN (have to check for sure).

Last edited:

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
How to determine what dice I have?
edit:
I turned on XMP, but adjusted the frequency to 3066Mhz, and it seems to be running fine. Guess there aren'y any downsides since the frequency is so close to 3200.
I found an article on PC Gamer about memory "Ryzen Above", and in their tests it seems that, having 4x8GB of 3200Mhz RAM performed better than 2x8GB at 3600Mhz. But it was a comparison between 3200 C16 and 3600Mhz C18. And my sticks are rated for C16, and that's what I think they're running at RN (have to check for sure).

ID the sticks with Thaiphoon burner. Beware: Sometimes it lies.

That PC gamer article, what did they test? The 4 sticks will at minimum be treated as dual rank. That is faster than single rank, by a quite substantial amount BUT only in 1080p gaming. At 1440p, there is hardly any difference at all. So if the 2 sticks were single rank, it makes sense.
Related: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-3000-best-memory-timings,6310.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.