Question PC keeps crashing

jben04

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2013
Hope you guys can steer me into the right direction... my Pc running windows 10 Keeps crashing and event viewer is giving me :
Event ID 154
( IO operation at logical block address 0x5c86972 for disk 0 failed due to hardware error)
Now Disk 0, is my OS.. which is a new samsung 1Tb SSD , with a newly installed windows 10
Just wondering if my psu or power cables are on the way out..already swapped out the sata cables..
I

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
a new samsung 1Tb SSD
Samsung have a number of SSD's in their portfolio, which one do you have? As for your OS, where did you source the installer for Windwos 10? Did you recreate the installer for the new SSD? BIOS version for your motherboard?

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? If it's listed in your sig space, please understand that they can and will change over time, which can render this thread and any suggestions/solutions moot to the person in the same boat as you're in now.

Hope you guys can steer me into the right direction... my Pc running windows 10 Keeps crashing and event viewer is giving me :
Event ID 154
( IO operation at logical block address 0x5c86972 for disk 0 failed due to hardware error)
Now Disk 0, is my OS.. which is a new samsung 1Tb SSD , with a newly installed windows 10
Just wondering if my psu or power cables are on the way out..already swapped out the sata cables..
I
Hey there,

Did you disconnect the original drive with Windows on it before you did the install onto the SSD? If not, not this could be the reason you have issues.

jben04

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2013
  • The original windows drive isn't even used on the pc ,, i put in a new 1TB ..SSD.
  • The SSD -Samsung 870 evo ( MZ-77E1TB/AM)
  • Windows 10 - downloaded from microsoft,, i recreated the installer using Rufus.
installed it as UEFI.
- Bios version - 1007

I built my pc myself in 2013,, this is the specs>
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jben04/saved/8qfv6h

hope that helps...
I was leaning to the thought that maybe the PSU was on its way out...

Last edited:

jben04

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2013
Just to be clear, when you installed the Windows OS, were there any other drives connected?

Nope !...

PC went out again,,, same event id... ( The IO operation at logical block address 0x7b6ba02 for Disk 0 (PDO name: \Device\00000033) failed due to a hardware error. )

Gonna swap out the power cable when i get back home..

(just a update when i did get hope the PC had crashed again,, and the boot SSD wasn't even i showing in bios,, so i went ahead and swapped out the pwr cable as mentioned before)

Last edited:

jben04

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2013
.. just a small update.... after swapping out the power cable it seemed the PC ran ok for a few days,, then it crashed again this morning,,
Upon rebooting,it went into recovery mode and it said the PC needs to be repaired... and gave me this error code : 0xc0000185.

I pressed F8 to go into start up settings and the pc booted normally,,,,,

Installed "Who crashed "... and reading the dump files its pointing to memory corruption and thermal issues..... now i know my CPU temp is good....
and ran memtest earlier this mornign and that didnt bring any red flags up,,,,

Last edited: