[SOLVED] PC keeps cycling after running asus Ez overclocking in bios

Oct 25, 2020
So after thinking I might try a simple overclock to see if it would be worth it I seamed to of made a fine mess. I used ez overclocking to Auto-Tune my setting and after the pc restarted, it began to just go to a black screen and then to the monitor trying to connect then back again every few seconds. Doesn't get to bios. I've tried shutting it down and clearinf CMOS by holding the button on the back and I've also tried unplugging and removing the battery for 5 mins and still won't get to bios. MOBO is a ROG hero VIII (https://www.amazon.ca/Asus-ROG-Cros...ocphy=9000903&hvtargid=pla-785320659005&psc=1)

Any help would be amazing. Thanks!

Solution
I've tried with that format and the light still stays on. I'm using the correct port as it's labeled on the rear io.

I've downloaded the bios straight from the asus mobo page and used the included renamer.

I therefore have no idea why it does not work for you unless the usb is bad or the MB is bad.
No need to wait overnight removing the CMOS battery the Capacitors will deplete immediately if you press the power button with the CMOS battery removed.
Oct 25, 2020
Hi AnimatorNater and Welcome to the forum :)

When you start your PC the system goes thru it's POST cycle and your beautiful MB is equipped with a Q-code LED for troubleshooting.
During POST observe the Q-code where it stops and report back.
Let's analyze that first and please list your full system specs.

Q-code reads: 02 "initialization before microcode loading"

CPU: ryzen 3900x
GPU: 1080 strix
RAM: 32GB corsair vengeance 3200
PSU: Evga 850w gold

PSU is brand-new, only a few weeks old now.

Oct 25, 2020
Somehow your Bios maybe corrupted so flash your Bios to latest version 2311 using the rear IO panel.

I've actually tried that. I plug the USB stick into the bios flash port and hold the button until it begins to flash. You can see the USB stick light up for a few seconds while the bios flash button blinks about 7 times total then goes solid indicating an issue. I've renamed the bios file "C8HW" as specified in the manual.

If the Bios flash button stays on then yes you have an issue. Most common is the format.
Is the USB formatted to FAT32 single partition and the Bios file on it's own?
Try another USB in case it's faulty.
You have renamed the file incorrectly it should be CH8.CAP

Sometimes this Qcode error is related to RAM so just have one module in the A2 slot to test. It's the slot furthest from the CPU

Reactions: AnimatorNater
Oct 25, 2020
If the Bios flash button stays on then yes you have an issue. Most common is the format.
Is the USB formatted to FAT32 single partition and the Bios file on it's own?
Try another USB in case it's faulty.

Sometimes this Qcode error is related to RAM so just have one module in the A2 slot to test. It's the slot furthest from the CPU

The USB is formatted to fat32 and the file is the only thing on it. Unfortunately it's the only usb I have so I can't currently try another.

Just attempted with the one RAM stick in the last slot furthest baeay from the CPU and still getting the same error. No bios

Oct 25, 2020
Did you read my edit? I checked and you renamed the Bios file incorrectly

Did you mean C8H.cap? I've tried that and it only blinks 3 times before staying lit. With the C8HW.cap format it'll at least blink 7 times and have more activity on the USB as well. Just to see I also renamed it CH8 and I only get 4 blinks before it stays lit.

Oct 25, 2020
Your manual clearly states C8H.CAP on page 2-14 in your manual.
Did you use the correct flashback port?

If I have to update the Bios I download the file to my desktop and unzip it. I then rename the file to the xxx.CAP format then transfer to the USB. I then power down the system then do the Bios flash.

I've tried with that format and the light still stays on. I'm using the correct port as it's labeled on the rear io.

I've downloaded the bios straight from the asus mobo page and used the included renamer.

Oct 25, 2020
Your manual clearly states C8H.CAP on page 2-14 in your manual.
Did you use the correct flashback port?

If I have to update the Bios I download the file to my desktop and unzip it. I then rename the file to the xxx.CAP format then transfer to the USB. I then power down the system then do the Bios flash.

Unplugged the system and removed the CMOS battery and I'm going to leave it draining overnight and see if that has any effect in the morning. I'll update once I test it out.

I therefore have no idea why it does not work for you unless the usb is bad or the MB is bad.
No need to wait overnight removing the CMOS battery the Capacitors will deplete immediately if you press the power button with the CMOS battery removed.

Reactions: AnimatorNater
Solution
Oct 25, 2020

MOBO has been replaced for the time being with an asus x570 strix. I also contacted asus support and they told me to send it in so hopefully they can fix it as Id rather use the Hero board.

Thank you so much for the assistance trying to figure out the cause of this. If they get back to me with what the issue was I'll be sure to let you know.

Thanks again and I hope you have a great day!!