[SOLVED] PC keeps dropping internet

thefinest1

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
hi all,

I have this annoying issue which has been going on since the recent windows 10 update. the reason I say this, is because when I first installed windows 10 2 years ago I never had this problem.

when i start up PC my internet used to come on line and ready to go. this still happens but after 5 mins its drops. i then have to disconnect and re-connect.

as i write this its happened again, so that's 10 mins use!

let me tell you some details

wireless adapter: ASUS PC10 11n
wireless router: 6 feet away
internet speed: 63Mb
iPhone and iPad works perfectly with internet and speed anywhere in the house

yesterday I reset the router and the PC was fine all day. today however its already dropped the connection

i have gone into properties and unchecked the turn off to save power box, so it should not have a power issue

any ideas?

View: https://imgur.com/a/OQresCP

Solution
Well, that photo proves that Microsoft has re-installed their drivers... your manufacturer should be ASUS.

Go to System Properties > Hardware tab > Device Installation > Select "No (your device might not work as expected)"

Then download these drivers, try installing: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCEN10/HelpDesk_Download/ . Restart, if you see Microsoft as your Driver Provider again. Go to Update Driver > Browse my computer for driver software > Go to the directory you used... and install those. Restart. IF it again does this do all the above except instead of using the directory select "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer".
Select one see what the Driver Provider says as the titles will all be the...

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History/Manager for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur just before or at the time of the drops.

Event Viewer may also provide some information.

You can also use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe what your system doing at any given time.

Open one of the tools and slide the window to one side so you can watch. Work as normal.

Good chance that you will spot something happening just before the connection drops.

Your router's logs (if available and enabled) may also be capturing some error or issue.

peptobismal

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
Ummm... well, to me, it sounds like you might have in your Network Adapter settings something other than automatic set in IPv4, possibly? The router has a lease time of the IP addresses and it could be dropping once it has expired. Just my guess, as you said that you have to disconnect and reconnect.

But that might not be the issue at all since you said it's happening so frequently and most routers are defaulted anywhere between 1-3 days, but either way it's a good starting point to make sure that this is set to automatically get your IP from your router. Make sure to default both the main tab and the alternate tab. This will help make sure it's not an IP configuration thing.

Second, make sure that in your Services WLAN AutoConfig is set to automatic. It should default to this if Windows detects that a WLAN card is in use, but just to be sure make sure that it is set to automatic.

Also, I had an ASUS PCE-56 that would have a lot of issues, like dropping connections, when Windows had installed its drivers for the card... you might want to hop over to Asus.com and see if there are any new drivers available, I was going to check but I am pretty sure that your model is incorrect unless you meant PCE-N10? Only thing I could find that was close-ish to what you said. Make sure that your Device Installation Settings are set to never update using Windows Update just to try and keep Windows from installing a "newer" driver that it has available than the one that ASUS might be providing.

Last edited:

thefinest1

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
thanks for you response.

internet seems to be running fine at the moment. usually connection would have dropped by now, but i suspect it will later.

checked asus website and last driver from them was 10/2015 I have the latest at 2016

yes, I typed the wrong model number, it is indeed the PCE-N10

not sure if this is any help but this is from my internet properties:

SSID: SKY18B2F
Protocol: 802.11n
Security type: WPA2-Personal
Network band: 2.4 GHz
Network channel: 6
IPv6 address: 2a02:c7f:c60a:7700:940b:cd08:a992:8063
fdfc:a58d:775e:0:940b:cd08:a992:8063
Link-local IPv6 address: fe80::940b:cd08:a992:8063%17
IPv6 DNS servers: fdfc:a58d:775e:0:7250:afff:fef6:8c40
fdfc:a58d:775e:0:7250:afff:fef6:8c40
IPv4 address: 192.168.0.4
IPv4 DNS servers: 192.168.0.1
Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Description: ASUS PCE-N10 11n Wireless LAN PCI-E Card
Driver version: 2013.12.331.2016
Physical address (MAC): 74-D0-2B-8C-C1-C1

if publishing these details puts my network at risk, please delete!

Thanks

peptobismal

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
Well, that photo proves that Microsoft has re-installed their drivers... your manufacturer should be ASUS.

Go to System Properties > Hardware tab > Device Installation > Select "No (your device might not work as expected)"

Then download these drivers, try installing: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCEN10/HelpDesk_Download/ . Restart, if you see Microsoft as your Driver Provider again. Go to Update Driver > Browse my computer for driver software > Go to the directory you used... and install those. Restart. IF it again does this do all the above except instead of using the directory select "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer".
Select one see what the Driver Provider says as the titles will all be the same if it's Microsoft, repeat and select the another item in the list until you see ASUS. That's what I had to do to get my ASUS PCE-AC51 to actually keep the right drivers. Because those Microsoft provided drivers were utter trash.

Literally never had this issue with any other PCI WLAN drivers, the "Let me pick from a list..." option was literally the ONLY way I could get the Microsoft driver to not default. And I am pretty sure it's due to the fact that Microsoft's drivers are seen as "newer". The manual way of deleting these drivers is such a pain in the ass and they keep coming back, but this way you'll know the method to fix the drivers and hopefully your issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: gisouljah
Solution

peptobismal

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
There is a tab someplace I forget that tells windows update to not replace any drivers. I know mine used to replace the video driver and it would drop me into a black screen on boot which was massive pain to fix.
The "Let me pick from a list of available drivers..." combined with "No" under Device Installation Settings was the only way I was able to find to actually get Microsoft to stop replacing my WLAN card drivers when I had it. The drivers that ASUS had were like literally 2-3 months older than the Microsoft provided ones, so it seemed on any restart that the Microsoft ones would re-install except when I used the "Let me pick from a list of available drivers..."

Even with just "No" selected in Device Installation Settings it would still replace the card drivers, it was a huge headache, because the Microsoft ones not only didn't provide the same speeds it would constantly drop connection... not as excessively as he has stated, but maybe like every hour or so for like 5 seconds. Just long enough to disconnect me from a game back to the menu screen.