Question Pc keeps freezing permanently

Jan 13, 2020
Half the time trying to boot I just lose signal with both monitors, but even when it does work, in just a few minutes, the computer freezes, everything on the monitor freezes, it lasts until I shut it off, then I have to go through a very tedious process to turn it on once again just for the same thing to happen, what could I do?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Note: I think it might be that the psu only has a 4 socket connector to power the cpu, which I will find out if thats the case tomorrow when my new psu comes in
Well that's definitely a good step forward!

That motherboard has an 8+4pin cpu power sockets. If you aren't even able to connect the 8-pin, then yeah, you do need a new psu.
The +4 isn't required for normal operation, but since it's there, it should be plugged in as well.

Reactions: SeanieTheCommie
Jan 13, 2020
I just realized as well, I talked to someone at MSI over the phone who said it looked like a problem with the ram because the EZ debug led was on, maybe it’s on because the cpu isn’t getting enough power, so I suppose that has to be it

Reactions: Phaaze88
Jan 13, 2020
Well that's definitely a good step forward!

That motherboard has an 8+4pin cpu power sockets. If you aren't even able to connect the 8-pin, then yeah, you do need a new psu.
The +4 isn't required for normal operation, but since it's there, it should be plugged in as well.
Alright, so I didn’t get the +4 connector, but got the regular 8 pin, I don’t believe it’s needed, but, same problem, any ideas? Please

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Test one stick at a time in each ram slot to see if you can reproduce the issue.

If no dice, then shut everything down, take the cpu out and check it for any bent or broken pins - you might need a magnifying glass so you're not straining your eyes trying to find what might be a needle in a haystack.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Install 1 stick of memory - usually in the 2nd slot from the cpu, unless your motherboard manual says otherwise, and boot into Safe Mode(with networking enabled).
Do you still crash here?

RX 570 and 470 are basically the same; the former is a pre-overclocked RX 470. Updating the driver may allow the system to recognize it as a 570.

Jan 13, 2020
It took about 10 minutes, it did crash in safe mode as well, so I called MSI and I am sending the motherboard back for repair or replacement, since it most definitely seems like that is the issue