Question PC keeps freezing randomly not while Gaming

Jul 18, 2021
my computer keeps freezing randomly, only happens sometimes and is very inconsistent sometimes it will be fine and i can use it all day, play games watch videos and whatnot and sometimes after starting it it will lock up after a few minutes or so of me being on the desktop while I'm just watching YouTube or something, the mouse will still move sometimes but i cant click or open anything and will eventually lock up completely( keyboard wont work mouse wont work) and have to restart it by holding the power button, have run most of the tests- sfc, memtest and all of that and all comes back fine. There aren't any heating issues computer doesn't go over 60c on cpu and gpu. There's nothing in event viewer except for the error of me holding down the power button to restart it cause it froze. The system isnt old or anything think the oldest part is the 1070 and that's never given me any problems, the rest was built in October from new parts..so I'm pretty much at a loss for why this is going on and i cant figure it out so any help is very much appreciated thanks..

Specs:
OS- windows 10 x64
Mobo- msi b450 tomohawk max
Gpu- evga gtx 1070 ftw
Cpu- amd Ryzen 3600
Ram -16.0 GB G.skill
PowerSupply- 750w gamemax modular psu

Take a look at that list. Should give an idea what is recommended out there. So as you shop you can maybe get an idea what you are looking at.

Jul 18, 2021
will take a look but i highly doubt its the power supply seeing as how i don't lose power my computer just freezes, I've had a bad psu before and freezing was not one of the signs just random shutdowns and restarts so im not 100% sure it is the power supply. Also All of this started around Nvidia's driver update in May version 466.77 it started with video tdr failure bsod's but they were caused by that driver, which Nvidia seemed to have fixed with the 471.11 update but instead this brought on the freezing problem and the same with their hotfix 471.22, so i rolled back to version 456.71 which is just the base driver that gets installed which i have tested before and had no freezing problems on which leads me to believe its NVidia's new drivers messing up old cards such as my 1070

I have a 1070 as well, so far mine has been golden. But if you think it’s driver related, you may run ddu to clear all the drivers and reinstall the latest version drivers directly from the website. Also run a scan with your antivirus as well as malwarebytes to see if you may have picked up any computer viruses.

I’m using whatever the latest one is. I had a gtx 970 that I just sold actually, and dropped the 1070 into my pc. I used ddu and downloaded the latest driver from nvidia, so it installed GeForce experience etc. So far I’ve not had major issues. Was playing ac black flag on Saturday in fact.

Also in case you were wondering, my specific card is a zotac gtx 1070 mini.

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/gr...iDWyT7NpPRv62MZgMzBQ0WjyQspxgbhBVQe3TDso77gSU

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021
i used ddu to uninstall the new driver last night and after restarting it installed the version 456.71 which is just the default Nvidia driver it installs and have been using the computer all day with non of the before mentioned issues happening

Jun 12, 2021
Did the driver fix it? I have the exact same issue, running a 3060, system runs fine while gaming, hard freezes when browsing or performing non intensive tasks. I'll try the same driver and come back with the results.

Good deal. Still may want at some point to upgrade your power supply when you are able to. I’ve had a power supply that was cheap take out part of a motherboard. You’d hate to have issues with your gpu especially in the current market.

Glad that things are working so far though.

Jul 18, 2021
well after 2 days of using the old driver my pc froze again.... so yea idk what it is anymore.. :/ ordered a new power supply so will see if that fixes it...

Good deal. Sometimes with power supplies you really have to watch. Especially as the newer ones that are more shall we say budget oriented will crow about their Gold Efficiency ratings and how wonderful they are, and the packaging sometimes looks comparable to higher tier power supplies. Even for someone who's worked on computers for years, you can have a hard time figuring out which is the best one unless you are reading and looking regularly at this stuff sometimes.