Question Pc keeps freezing when trying to install windows

Aug 31, 2019
I just built my first pc and I am trying to install windows 10 on an ROG STRIX B450-F gaming motherboard. I have an M.2 and hard drive installed. When I go into the boot menu I choose the flash drive as option 1 and the hard drive as option 2 because my M.2 does not show up. I push save and exit and when the pc restarts it goes back to the bios screen. When I try to choose the flash drive in the boot override or just trying to select a boot device the pc freezes on me. I have tried talking to ROG and they have not gotten anywhere. This is the second board I have tried because it seemed like a mobo problem but it is not. I don’t know if it could be an ssd problem but windows should be able to save on the hard drive either way. If you have any information or advice I’ve been at this for 3 weeks now. Thanks

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I would take out the M.2 (as you say its not being seen by Bios) and if you wanted windows on the HDD , then try again. could be conflicting with the M.2 maybe (im not sure but ..) its what Id try
* or vise versa* and maybe m.2 be seen then , could be a setting too in Bios (sadly this I dont know as my pc isn't this new) .. but Id still try 1 drive rather than 2

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
could that explain why the M.2 isn't being seen by Bios as he mentioned ? (I'm just asking for myself to learn. as the new board I'm buying has M.2 as well and haven't decided if Ill use those) like a conflict when the 2 types (SATA and PCIe) and both in use? or like how RAM often needs to be in certain slots to work prepper (assuming you have more than 2 slots)

Hi
I have the rog strix x470 f gaming and in my m.2 isn't shown in the advaced tab
And down the list i think in hhd and ssd possibly sata area.
It is a samsung 970 evo plus
But my crucial mx500 is shown.
Make sure you have no other drive connected when trying to install.
My 970 is my os drive which is in the main m.2 slot which is parallel to the pcie slots.
This may not help much but mune dosent show except as win boot manager Samsung 970 evo.

The 970 EVO Plus is a NVMe drive. NVMe SSDs do not appear within the BIOS until Windows creates the system partition with the EFI Boot Sector.

A guide for installing Windows 10 is found in this thread: