PC keeps freezing

nb111968

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
For the past 3-4 weeks my PC has been freezing randomly forcing me to shut it down via the power button. The freeze can happen at any point but after i have restarted it after the crash it doesn't seem to happen again for a while (after restarting it i can use it for 7-12h without it freezing).

I have tried a few things such as updating my drivers, memory checks and running hardware monitor to see if anything could be causing it but i haven't found any issues. I have also checked windows event viewer and reliability history but the only entry is for me shutting it down via the button.

When i unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in it doesn't restore the frozen image so maybe it is a power issue relating to the GPU but this issue didn't happen beforehand (GPU was put in system about 2 months ago along with new PSU). The only thing i can think that could be causing it is windows.

My specs are:
AMD 6350
Nvidia 1070
8GB ram
500w PSU
Windows 10 pro version 1709

If anyone could help it would be appreciated.

Solution
its most likely your RAM. if you have a friend with a spare RAM, or just buy a new RAM for testing. im sure your motherboard can support another 8Gb. you havent mentioend the model of your motherboard yet. go to your mobos support site and check compatible RAMs.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
can you remove first your gpu to confirm that your PSU can do fine without the GPU? freezes are usually caused by incompatible RAM or failing hard drive. or if you find anything in Event Viewer logs. and check to see if there are errors being generated at the event your PC freezes, it may be a driver problem. maybe if you waited long enough? a bluescreen will appear? have you tried removing all your usb devices except your keyboard/mouse ofc.

you can try downloading "HD Tune" and just check the SMART health of your disk and do an "error scan".
can you give us the exact model name of your RAM? is it new? was it working the whole time and this just happened?

you can try doing a "sfc /scannow" as well to check the integrity of ur windows.

nb111968

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018

My ram is 1x8GB 1600Mhz HyperX.
My HDD is a 2-3 month old Seagate barracuda

As stated there are no events/errors in event viewer from anywhere near the time of the freeze.

Unplugging all devices doesn't work and i have left it for 5 mins and it was still frozen (ill try leaving it for longer next time).

Edit: i have done a SMART test and Short DST test using Seatools for windows and both of my HDDs have passed.

The sfc/scannow has just finished and there was no errors.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
its most likely your RAM. if you have a friend with a spare RAM, or just buy a new RAM for testing. im sure your motherboard can support another 8Gb. you havent mentioend the model of your motherboard yet. go to your mobos support site and check compatible RAMs.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS