PC keeps freezing

Jun 17, 2018
Hi, for many months I've been dealing with my PC having freezing issues. The freezes will sometimes last a few seconds and then be okay for a few hours and then sometimes it will start doing short freezes that occur every few seconds and prgress to where it freezes for long periods of time and make it unusable.

Here's what I'm seeing and tried:

1. The freezing will usually go away for about a week if I reinstall Windows 7 Ult.

2. At times I can make the freezing stop for a few days if I change the video card (Gforce 280x) to the other slot.

3. Sometimes my screen will go black and come back and give an error message that the display driver has failed.

4. I've tried reinstalling on different hard drives and still having the same problem.

5. Often I can get the freezing to stop if I use the windows boot repair but only for a day or so.

6. The freezing will occur even right after turning the pc on and before it loads into windows but that is rare.

7. I've tried several different video card drivers but it didn't help.

I built this PC in 2008 so I know its old. Could this be the ram going bad? Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and reply.

Evga 750 ftw mobo
Gforce 280x
2x 4gb ram
Windows 7 Ultimate

Lutfij

Titan
Nvidia made the GTX280 and AMD made the R9 280X, so which one is it? AMD or NVidia? You also forgot to mention your processor and if you're on any overclock. Are you also referring to the GTX750i SLI board? Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update. Ram issues cannot be resolved with an OS reinstallation. You could run memtest86 and see if they pop up as failures.

Jun 17, 2018
Sorry about the confusion. It's a Nvidia GTX280.

Yes, its the 750i SLI FTW mobo.

I had the cpu overclocked but also tried returning the speed back to normal and it didn't help.

I'll have to check into the bios version.

Jun 17, 2018
The current bios Phoenix Technologies Ltd 6.00 Pg

Today the freezing was horrible and wouldn't let me boot into either of my hard drives until I moved the video card to the other slot on the mobo. After I did that it hasn't had any issues but I know it's just a short temporary fix.

TRENDING THREADS