Hello, I have this PC:
GPU: GTX 1080 8gb
CPU: i5 7400
RAM: 2x8GB
MOBO: MSI250M
PSU: 630W
SSD: 500GB
WIN10 x64

it used to work fine, but a few months ago i discovered that sometimes (once a day) it freezes for ~15 seconds
one month ago i moved from a location to another, and since then, pc freezes (in games) once every 10 minutes for ~10 seconds (it's unplayable)
should the move disturbed my build, but i packed and unpacked every piece in a box with bubble wrap

while gaming, temps are fine:
CPU and GPU both 60 degrees, the rest are fine (30-40 degrees, i used SpeedFan)

things i tried:
  • run pc without gpu -> still froze
  • run pc with a single stick of ram in every slot -> still froze
  • replace thermal paste
could it be the psu that is dying? or the mobo? drivers are all up to date
can't try with another mobo or cpu (old pieces in my home, won't fit) and the psu i have has 450w
I would by another PSU or MOBO, but i wouldn't spend money on another CPU (only if it would be the case)

sometimes, close when it is about to freeze, keyboard (seldom the mouse) disconnects itself (stops working and it does not work untill i unplug and plug it back)

another thing that happened while gaming: monitor turned black, fans started to spin at a higher speed.
turned off the pc, but i got no display (mouse and keyboard lights remained off)
one week ago, when this happened, i started unmounting then mounting back the gpu, rams and cmos battery
this time, i went to sleep
in the morning, everything worked fine (is this the sign of a dying psu?)

thanks!

Last edited:

Mariusglock

Commendable
Jun 13, 2020
Well pull out ur gpu and try running with the 450w PSU, if it still lags, now atleast you can cross out PSU for starters.

Then you have most likely mobo or cpu, you can buy some used cheap 6th gen i3 or even pentium for your socket on ebay. And try that out, then you will know if its cpu or mobo.

Thats how I did it when my cpu went to crap, at first it was the last suspect, but after testing it was cpu afterall.

SergiuMr

Honorable
Dec 29, 2016
i forgot to check as i left my home for a few weeks, but before that, i changed the power plan settings to 'power saver' and it seems the freezes droped by 50%
so this would indicate me that the psu is faulty

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

ASK THE COMMUNITY