[SOLVED] Pc keeps having restart loop, bsod, had issues installing etc

djholley

Honorable
May 15, 2016
Pc restarting loop, bsod, restarts entire pc

My pc has been running fine no issues I wanted to do a fresh install of windows on my 120gb ssd so I downloaded the medial tool on a usb formatted my 120 and went to install windows. First off every time I boot via usb my screen goes haywire and shows like weird artifact like stuff on the screen then it loads up the windows 10 installation fine. Once windows installs on the ssd it will not let me get passed the cortana type screen it either freezes crashes or keeps rebooting my pc. I’ve gotten cricital process died many times even now, irql not less or equal once, unexpected kernel mode trap once, a few srt trail errors. I’ve bought a NEW 500gb ssd AND a NEW flash drive. Same weird activating on boot same issue restart loop on cortana screen can’t get past network part, so I took my moms laptop drive and connected it boots up fine no issues no restarting. I use her laptop to do the media tool install with my ssd works now I got the ssd booting up on my pc now but it still restarts even if I leave it alone I tried installing steam and my apps again but nope critical process died all the time. WTF is going on? I’m thinking the medial tool on their website has some corrupt files? My pc literally was working and gaming the night before and the 5 minutes before I decided to install windows 10 again.

Solution
there’s nothing wrong with the drive it’s brand new and was working in my moms laptop it just keeps restarting on setup on my main pc.
First thing first, did you do a clear CMOS before starting swapping things ?
Clearly it is the first thing to do now.
Switch off the computer and disconnect the power cord. Take the cell battery out for say 10 min. Put it back.
Place your new SSD in PC (and only this one connected).
Boot with your USB stick with the windows installer on it. Wipe everything on the SSD and reinstall win10

djholley

Honorable
May 15, 2016
PC specs?

Why not put the OS on an internal drive?
That’s what I’m doing. Internal ssd. Msi b450 tomahawk Ryzen 7 3700x rx 5700xt 16gb ram So I put my moms laptop hard drive that has windows on it and my gaming rig works fine no issues no restarts and I had it on for a whole hour. I put the new ssd that was giving me issues with a 10th fresh install works flawless on for an hour no issues downloading programs fine etc etc no restart. I put the ssd back in my pc that was just working in her laptop restarts.... wtf is going on

djholley

Honorable
May 15, 2016
Put both in your PC with your mum's as the boot drive.
Check the new ssd for viruses eg use Malwarebytes
Check the SSD in Windows Explorer - Properties/Tools/Check
Check it with SMART analysis eg https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

her hard drive won’t boot on mine anymore only works on hers now for whatever reason. I’m testing another hard drive I have the ssd is brand new I bought it sealed like a couple hours ago.

there’s nothing wrong with the drive it’s brand new and was working in my moms laptop it just keeps restarting on setup on my main pc.
Switch off the computer and disconnect the power cord. Take the cell battery out for say 10 min. Put it back.
Boot with your USB stick with the windows installer on it. Wipe everything on the SSD and reinstall win10

Solution

djholley

Honorable
May 15, 2016
Yes

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
why not put the ssd into the laptop. install windows 10 onto it (dont add "key")) then onces its working on lapotop. take it out and put it back in your computer. and let it reconfigure to your system. if it still does the same issues. then you know its probably your graphics card or other hardware..

TRENDING THREADS