PC keeps lagging and restarting a lot after i'm cleaning it. HELP!!

NoobyComputerGuy

Honorable
Jul 6, 2015
I have a 7 year old pc, and lately it restarts itself a lot, so i thought it must be the psu or its because its so dirty inside, so i decided to clean the entire pc (i didnt took anything off except for the gpu and cpu heatsink). I cleaned the dusts on the case with soft cloth, and brush the hard areas with toothbrush (and a bit of water). There was a lot of dust in there, so it was very satisfying to clean the whole system.

After im done i fired it out and it sounds a lot quieter so i thought i've fixed the problem. But when i start gaming, the fps is A LOT less than it used to be, and the pc keeps restarting itself every 5 minute. I checked the fans, theyre spinning tho.

What should i do? Am i doing anything wrong? Thx in advance.

The pc has an i5 750, an HD5500, 4gb of ram. The psu was unbranded, but i doubt it was the one causing the lag because it was fine before.

Extra details:
-The cpu heatsink was positioned differently than before because it wouldnt fit in. It fits fine now
- i didnt double check the gpu positioning, but it seems fine
- its not actually restarting itself, it just suddenly went blank (the monitor says no hdmi plugged in) and i cant do anything but restart it.

shoe59

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
once you remove the heatsink it breaks the bond it has with thermal paste.

Anytime you take it off you need to reapply, this is an absolute must. You can look up a video on youtube for how to do it.

ArcticSilver is a brand i would recommend, you can order it online for pretty cheap

NoobyComputerGuy

Honorable
Jul 6, 2015

Ooh shoot i just know this. I guess im gonna buy some thermal paste and get back to you. Thanks a lot!

shoe59

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
you may be able to pick up thermal paste at a store near you, otherwise you will need to order online.

I recommend using the following method:

1. remove heatsink
2. use coffee filter and rubbing alcohol to clean old paste off CPU and heatsink (coffee filters leave no unwanted fibers stuck on)
3. put a small drop of paste in center of CPU
4. install heatsink carefully (thus evenly spreading the paste)

NoobyComputerGuy

Honorable
Jul 6, 2015

Yeah thank you very much! The only problem is that the price of thermal paste in my country is reaally expensive. Is it okay if i use cheapo one instead?

shoe59

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
I would say if this is a 7-year old PC then any thermal paste will probably be fine. Just make sure it is applied properly, you don't want too much or when you press down the heatsink it will spread out over the edges of CPU into the socket.

What country are you in? A tube of thermal paste is only around $7 in U.S.A.

NoobyComputerGuy

Honorable
Jul 6, 2015

I live in indonesia and arctic silver is like 20$ here. There is a very cheapo one that costs 50 cents but that is obviously not good