Question PC keeps locking up ?

Dec 17, 2022
Hi All

I've had issues with my pc over the last two years (i was only using it occasionally), but now am trying to breathe new life into it for the odd bit of gaming.

I've experienced freezing and crashing and most time's I would have to re-install the OS as the hard drive would report no OS found. It's no longer doing this since switching from the Marvell sata chipset to the Intel Chipset, but it's still locking up intermittently . When this happens sometimes the mouse can be moved, other time's I'm met with a blank screen when I come back to the machine.

Issues have occurred on both Linux and windows, so I'm sure this isn't a driver or software problem.

I've memtested overnight and got 1 error on the 3rd pass but haven’t seen it since I manually set the voltage to 1.65v (as per the memory rating).

Hardware:
Asus P6X58D-E Motherboard / BIOS 803
Xeon W3690 CPU (2nd hand, upgraded in the machine two or three years ago) *
Asus Strix GTX 960 (upgraded in the machine around 2015/2016)
Samsung QVO 860 (upgraded 2020/2021) *
WD Green (storage drive)
Geil EvoTwo 6GB PC3-12800 (Triple Channel)
ThermalTake 650W PSU (upgraded this year, replaced squealing corsair psu)
Original Monitor - BenQ E2420HD - Display port to DVI
Second Monitory - AOC 2436 (added a few years ago) - HDMI Cable
Generic Keyboard (Lenovo)
Razer 3.5g Mouse (disconnected / Using wireless logitech at the moment

OS - Linux Ubuntu 22.04

What i've tried so far:
Disabling the Marvell sata chip and plugged the drives into the intel sata ports (stability definitely increased).
Replaced cmos battery
Stopped using the XMP profile for my ram (realised this was causing an overclocking failed error on occasion at post and i’m not actually overclocking the cpu so that was my bad).
Unplugged any unused peripherals, dvd drive, front case usb/audio ports etc.
Reconfigured a number of bios settings

Currently trying:
Disabled all other onboard peripherals not in use e.g. onboard audio and the firewire.
Unplugged my razer 3.5g mouse (wondering if this is faulty as it for some reason made the old psu generate a noise when i would move it over the mousepad)
Reseated and shuffled all ram (air dusted ram sticks slots)
Moved GTX 960 to bottom slot (air dusted card and slots)
Unplugged and reseated all cables

Other ideas:
DRAM Timings and voltage not set to vendor, mobo decides
Xeon CPU potentially faulty ? how to test on linux
Samsung QVO Faulty ?
Samsung QVO not compatible with my old motherboard ?
Ram is faulty but doesn't show in memtest ?
Having different brand monitors, or monitors not both on display port, maybe the GTX960 isn't liking it ?

Looking for any advice really, trying to avoid buying a new PC if I can help it :neutral:

Last edited:

Dave8671

Distinguished
Hi

Have you checked the system logs for a possible reason why the system is crashing? I see the modo was updated to the latest bios version. Was this done before or after you installed the current cpu?

Nvidia does not write drivers for linux. For the best gaming experience I suggest using AMD GPU cards. AMD creates drivers for linux. The one installed is a open source driver.

Dec 17, 2022
Hi

Have you checked the system logs for a possible reason why the system is crashing? I see the modo was updated to the latest bios version. Was this done before or after you installed the current cpu?

Nvidia does not write drivers for linux. For the best gaming experience I suggest using AMD GPU cards. AMD creates drivers for linux. The one installed is a open source driver.

Yes I've checked event viewer when it was on windows 10 and i could never discern a cause.

The mobo is from 2011 and was updated many years ago before the cpu change.

Pretty sure Nvidia does as im using an Nvidia driver in Ubuntu at the moment and you can find them on there website.

Dave8671

Distinguished
Yes I've checked event viewer when it was on windows 10 and i could never discern a cause.

The mobo is from 2011 and was updated many years ago before the cpu change.

Pretty sure Nvidia does as im using an Nvidia driver in Ubuntu at the moment and you can find them on there website.

That driver is a beta I suggest not use a beta driver its still under development. Plus you should see a driver option on the additional drivers scan. I would not expect support for GPU from Nvidia for Linux. There is video with Linus Torvalds about Nvidia search for that

Have you reset the bios to the defaults after you installed the new CPU?