[SOLVED] pc keeps on rebooting

solankisorabh2015

Honorable
Dec 18, 2018
hii,
Once again i am severely out of patience and stressed out,looks like 2020 is eager to get us out of breath in any way possible.
now coming to the point..
The pc i am using is troubling me since i started to make huge changes for upgrade..
build before-
windows 10 home 64 bit
mobo- techcomm brand intel h61 on south bridge and Q67 on north bridge as mentioned in cpu z and bios as well.
ram 4gb.
cpu-intel i3 3220
no gfx card.
zebronics 450 watt power supply.
state-all good.
upgrade-
msi gtx 750ti 2gb ddr5 single fan
ram-8 gb 1600mhz cl 11 running dual channel
so after upgrade i had to reinstall windows because a lot of files got corrupted including dism repository due to 2 weak sectors and 1 bad offline sector on c partition (tried everything it was beyond repair),fixed sectors and then clean install of windows,health is 99% according to hd sentinel and no bad sectors in new surface test.
current issue-
so after running newly installed os for about 15 days(played games and very little driver changes)
system shown no signs of bad health.
but all of sudden when i booted,i saw basic display adapter as faulting in device manager besides gtx 750ti ofcourse,why would it appear in first place?the dumbest mistake i did is that i didnt turn of automatic driver updates and pause updates as well,i saw recently installed intel hd in settings-update history.i tried uninstalling display adapter but after reboot it reappeared,error message- cannot load drivers.tried updating it from add legacy hardware method but encountered an error- 3rd party inf doesnt contain digital signature,tried test mode and driver signature reinforce,but didnt work..then i proceed to unisntall nvidia drivers,in between all these pc started to show boot error patterns..like it will boot after 3rd time successfully post 2 failed boots,now it shows generic monitor or display adapter,something like that,still cannot install basic display adapter,but resolution was back to default(as it looks without intel hd or gfx driver)was working fine but after that some faulty unsigned vga drivers started to show up in identical pairs in device manager,every time i uninstalled,they reappeared,this was the last time pc booted but even after that pattern got worse...it booted but after 5-6 failed attempts..i tried diagnosis now but no luck..sfc scan came up with no integrity violations,i had system restores and reverted back but no changes to those drivers in device manager,it started to get worse and then i saw restore points were missing,startup repair couldnt work..and i encountered a bsod few times-whea uncorrectable error,now i thought it is out of hands and just for the sake of ease i gave up,was tired of fixing errors and issues whole month,so planned to clean install windows 10 64 bit home again,things i noticed-
1.The usb i used booted just fine in uefi mode.
2.bios settings load up well and stays.
3.installation went well..until it has to reboot,the culprit got a chance and grabbed onto opportunity :( unlimited furious reboots again..also reboots always include starting automatic system repair and pc shuts down instantly after 2 sec.
4.checked all power saving setting in bios,although not an expert thats why left untouched,need your assistance.
5.boot orders are fine,windows boot manager is set on first.
6.even now it is a pattern- boots up just fine but after 10-20 failed attempts,it is just painful.
7.the succesful boot m talking about stays on and works fine until i reboot..then again furious reboots.
now i am thinking it is either Bios corruption or cpu heating or graphic card heating,i dont know, please help me pinpoint the culprit :(

Solution
Thanks for your insights.
I Agree ,anything might go wrong at anytime whether its overvolt or undervolt,considering these psus have no protection mechanisms,i am risking a lot,will replace asap :) got to learn something.
Although that wattage portion i mentioned with respect to possible overload issues,many users faced reboots because their psu couldnt provide enough power,just wanted to mention in my case its unlikely,but as you said..these psu doesnt even have ratings,let alone mention efficiency,that seems possible now. could be as low as 250-300 watt.
Not many are often this receptive, so thank you my friend!

Your system is low power, absolutely, so you wouldn't need to go high end on a PSU, just one that is sustainable...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'll be honest, I didn't read all of it in detail, only a quick skim as it's a wall of text. But what I can see is you referring to a number of issues, including WHEA problems, which are pretty much solely hardware issues. And also you said:
zebronics 450 watt power supply.
Which is likely where a big problem is. Trash PSU unfortunately and could well be causing the restarts.

BIOS corruption would usually stop the PC from booting at all and wouldn't (within reason) randomly work after so many attempts. I'd start by replacing that PSU before smoke is seen.

Reactions: solankisorabh2015

solankisorabh2015

Honorable
Dec 18, 2018
I'll be honest, I didn't read all of it in detail, only a quick skim as it's a wall of text. But what I can see is you referring to a number of issues, including WHEA problems, which are pretty much solely hardware issues. And also you said:

Which is likely where a big problem is. Trash PSU unfortunately and could well be causing the restarts.

BIOS corruption would usually stop the PC from booting at all and wouldn't (within reason) randomly work after so many attempts. I'd start by replacing that PSU before smoke is seen.
Thanks for your assistance.Pc is back to normal,but anyway gonna replace the crap psu.
so what i did is i removed graphic card and then plugged monitor cable on Motherboard output as it has integrated gpu.Pc booted like nothing has happened,just fine.i completed setup and let it load everything,first boot..tried 4-5 test reboots and the problem was gone,i cleaned the card and psu and then reinstalled,now graphic card also booted fine? it is working smoothly now.temps are ok,driver installed successfully.
so here is my guess-
i didnt mention that i tried to reinstall nvidia driver and encountered an error-drivers are not compatible,simply singnaling that gfx card was not detecting at root level? Also it asked for reboot while uninstalling which never happened before,something messed up display drivers at root level,which caused gfx card to disguise itself as some vga adapters which i saw in device manager.but after reinstall of card bios reregistered it in system,also had a question,does graphic card bios gets restored or refreshed after reinstall? dont know about complete restore but faulty values or settings got fixed i think.anyway it is too soon to guess something,gotta give it a shot for few days.
Thanks for your response and also would like to read your comments on the matter :)

solankisorabh2015

Honorable
Dec 18, 2018
Also why i am kind sure(atleast 75%) that its not psu because of two reasons-
1.i checked output voltages of psu on 24 pin using multimeter today,all voltages seemed fine,3.3 v rail=3.3, 12 v rail=11.5 , 5v rail=5.1 v.
i know it is a different scenerio while its in load but still thats a sign that components are ok.
2.also the psu is quite new.
3.its Msi gtx 750 ti which has tdp of 68 watt only..i calculated total wattage my system should be drawing,which came around 270 watt only(calculated considering 100% load of each unit).
for now its ok..but have to replace soon with corsair 450watt.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
1.i checked output voltages of psu on 24 pin using multimeter today,all voltages seemed fine,3.3 v rail=3.3, 12 v rail=11.5 , 5v rail=5.1 v.

i know it is a different scenerio while its in load but still thats a sign that components are ok.
Unfortunately it's not. That method does not simulate load. And most faulty PSUs will fault when under load, not at idle. On top of that, if your 12V rail is sitting at 11.5V that might be within ATX specification, but it is certainly low, and who knows what happens in ripple or regulation when you induce some load. Ultimately it's a very poor quality PSU, and these are so commonly the cause of the issue you describe.

It indicates that your components can start and run, but not run correctly. And it's the "correct" running that causes damage to your components.

also the psu is quite new.
Doesn't matter again, I've seen a brand new out of the box go bang and wipe out a £500 GPU in 4 hours. Poor quality is poor quality.

its Msi gtx 750 ti which has tdp of 68 watt only..i calculated total wattage my system should be drawing,which came around 270 watt only(calculated considering 100% load of each unit).
for now its ok..but have to replace soon with corsair 450watt.
This isn't about wattage, it's about quality.

You can have a 1000W PSU, if it enocunters a large surge and that gets through to your components, doesn't matter how much power it should deliver. There is a misconception that wattage = more than needed then I'm OK. Which is far from the truth unfortunately.

On top of that, your PSU is not delivering 450W entirely, most of your PC is powered through the 12V rail only, and most poor quality PSUs will have low amperage on that rail, meaning that its possible that your 450W is actually only really delivery 300W of usable power by your main components. But I can't confirm that for this model as I can't see specs anywhere.

I'm not saying it DEFINITELY IS your PSU.

But what I am saying is it's definitely likely, as these kind of PSUs often cause these problems. And that even if it isn't, it will be hard to diagnose UNTIL you remove the bad quality PSU from the equation.

Last edited:
Reactions: solankisorabh2015

solankisorabh2015

Honorable
Dec 18, 2018
I Agree ,anything might go wrong at anytime whether its overvolt or undervolt,considering these psus have no protection mechanisms,i am risking a lot,will replace asap :) got to learn something.
Although that wattage portion i mentioned with respect to possible overload issues,many users faced reboots because their psu couldnt provide enough power,just wanted to mention in my case its unlikely,but as you said..these psu doesnt even have ratings,let alone mention efficiency,that seems possible now. could be as low as 250-300 watt.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Not many are often this receptive, so thank you my friend!

Your system is low power, absolutely, so you wouldn't need to go high end on a PSU, just one that is sustainable. Such as a Corsair CX for example. Heck even the NEW Corsair VS would probably be OK for a 750 Ti.

If you replace the PSU and reboots continue (which I would be surprised if they do to be honest) then we can problem solve the next item, but replacing the PSU for a good quality unit is ALWAYS a good idea, because if it isn't the problem now, it could well cause a BIG problem later.

Solution