Question PC keeps on shutting down even before OS loads

doublehunter

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2013
I am having problems with my desktop PC where it keeps on shutting down even before OS loads. It works just fine once it eventually loads the OS successfully(it is stable even if its on full load) but if I shut it down, I face the difficulty of having it boot again, it takes me around 20x I have to power on the PC before it successfully load. I have replaced the PSU thinking that was causing it but it is not. I connected a speaker to the motherboard to help with troubleshooting and I sometimes hear ticking noise when it is having difficulty booting. I tried reseating the rams, repasting the cpu, cleaned the whole system, reseat the motherboard from the case. I am out of ideas already and dont have resources to replace this old PC. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

specs:
i7 4790 (42 degree C)
gigabyte b85 ds3h (31 degree C)
r7 370 (36 degree C)
120gb SSD(os) (26 degree C)
500gb HDD (37 degree C)
16gb hyperx ddr3 ram
corsair rm550

EDIT: updated the temps of each specs, so I also dont think temps is the issue

Last edited:

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
Step 1 - If you can see bios, press F8 and load into safe mode and load back to an earlier point, if this doesn't work
or if you can't access bois then its the hard drive/ssd thats failing you or the windows is just done for
You can try to boot up your windows disk and repair it
Why I say its the hard drive thats failing is bcs of the mentioned ticking noise, usually a ticking noise indicates a hard drive having difficulty reading data, might want to get that checked

doublehunter

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2013
Step 1 - If you can see bios, press F8 and load into safe mode and load back to an earlier point, if this doesn't work
or if you can't access bois then its the hard drive/ssd thats failing you or the windows is just done for
You can try to boot up your windows disk and repair it
Why I say its the hard drive thats failing is bcs of the mentioned ticking noise, usually a ticking noise indicates a hard drive having difficulty reading data, might want to get that checked
I thought it was the drive too, but when I removed the speaker the ticking sound went away so the ticking comes from the speaker and not the hard drive. It also shows perfect health and performance in HDsentinel for both drives.

It is almost impossible for me to boot into bios, because it shuts down itself 5~10secs after i press the power button if it does not want to boot up. Again once it successfully boots up and finish loading the windows it performs very well.

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
I thought it was the drive too, but when I removed the speaker the ticking sound went away so the ticking comes from the speaker and not the hard drive. It also shows perfect health and performance in HDsentinel for both drives.

It is almost impossible for me to boot into bios, because it shuts down itself 5~10secs after i press the power button if it does not want to boot up. Again once it successfully boots up and finish loading the windows it performs very well.
My bad, Jumped to a quick conclusion on that
This does seem more of a hardware issue than anything else but if possible can you still try a fresh install of windows?
However I wouldn't totally consider psu failure out yet as it seems to be the most likely hardware failure point for this (including if you got a brand new one or not)

doublehunter

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2013
My bad, Jumped to a quick conclusion on that
This does seem more of a hardware issue than anything else but if possible can you still try a fresh install of windows?
However I wouldn't totally consider psu failure out yet as it seems to be the most likely hardware failure point for this (including if you got a brand new one or not)
I have an old corsair vs450 and replaced it as i thought i was having psu failure but the issue is the same so i ruled the psu failure out. I can reinstall windows, however it should not shut down on me while loading in the bios if the problem is the windows OS right? Could VRM issues without overclocking cause this scenario?