Question PC keeps powering off. Can't ID issue

Dec 23, 2021
Hey folks,

In need of a little help.

My PC keep powering off, usually triggered by starting a game but sometimes after logging into windows.

When it cuts out I can hear an audible trip from the PC, maybe the PSU? Issue started from seemingly out of nowhere, I can't identify an update which may have caused it and didn't change any hardware.

I have a video of it happening if it will help

CPU: 5600X
GPU: 6900xt
MoBo: Asus prime b450 plus
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance
PSU: CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 QVO SSD

Steps tried
Checked event logs - nothing obvious
Replaced CPU paste & fan
Ran memtest86 - clear
Ran with half ram - issue still present
Reset Windows
Remove Drivers
Installed Newest Drivers
Install newest chipset drivers
Undervolted GPU
Updated Mobo Bios

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ralston18

Titan
"PSU: CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET "

How old is that PSU? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit mining? Based on your posted symptoms, description, and troubleshooting to date I think the PSU is a likely suspect.

Other thoughts and ideas:

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Also look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, etc.. Much more user friendly and provides a time line format that can often help problems and patterns.

Double check the power source serving the computer: outlet, power strip, surge protector, UPS, etc.. May simply be a wiggly plug. Or a problem within the surge protector, power strip, etc..

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connections, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight and magnifying glass to look for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, kinked or pinched wires, browned or blackened components/surfaces. Loose screws.

Dec 23, 2021
Hey folks,

In need of a little help.

My PC keep powering off, usually triggered by starting a game but sometimes after logging into windows.

When it cuts out I can hear an audible trip from the PC, maybe the PSU? Issue started from seemingly out of nowhere, I can't identify an update which may have caused it and didn't change any hardware.

I have a video of it happening if it will help

CPU: 5600X
GPU: 6900xt
MoBo: Asus prime b450 plus
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance
PSU: CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 QVO SSD

Steps tried
Checked event logs - nothing obvious
Replaced CPU paste & fan
Ran memtest86 - clear
Ran with half ram - issue still present
Reset Windows
Remove Drivers
Installed Newest Drivers
Install newest chipset drivers
Undervolted GPU
Updated Mobo Bios

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
"PSU: CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET "

How old is that PSU? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit mining? Based on your posted symptoms, description, and troubleshooting to date I think the PSU is a likely suspect.

Other thoughts and ideas:

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Also look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, etc.. Much more user friendly and provides a time line format that can often help problems and patterns.

Double check the power source serving the computer: outlet, power strip, surge protector, UPS, etc.. May simply be a wiggly plug. Or a problem within the surge protector, power strip, etc..

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connections, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight and magnifying glass to look for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, kinked or pinched wires, browned or blackened components/surfaces. Loose screws.
PSU is 2 years old. No mining, but using the PC for work and gaming so really been running for probably 12 hours a day most days, with some intense gaming.

Tried different power sources to the PSU and same issue.

Reliability Viewer isn't showing much apart from CPU metrics server stopped working but afaik that shouldn't be an issue?

No visible sign of damage anywhere on the PC will check again, and will probably take apart and extensively clean before looking at a new psu

Dec 23, 2021
Sometimes this can be the PC overheating are you monitoring heat levels particularly on your GPU?
GPU temp usually below 40 degrees and cpu between 30 & 40 Celsius when power cuts, so doesn't seem to be heat related.

We have had some power cuts recently, so I'm guessing that has caused an issue with either the old PSU or MoBo. Will update once the new PSU arrives.

Hope everyone is having a good holiday season 🤙

Dec 23, 2021
New PSU solved the problem. Writing it off as the power cuts messing something up. On the plus side, I'm now far better at pulling PCs apart and marginally better at putting them back together so not a total disaster.

Appreciate all the help!

Reactions: Vic 40

TRENDING THREADS