[SOLVED] PC keeps randomly crashing during gaming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 7, 2021
The PC I have is about 2-3 years old and it is custom built by myself. For the last month it has had issues where it would randomly crash during gaming (not even intensive gaming).
The crash starts with the screen and computer freezing for approximately 5 seconds, then it turns into a black screen. The computer does not reboot immediately and stays on with a black screen for quite some time. Once I try turning the PC off and on again using the power button, it starts the PC but does not boot until I wait for approximately 1-2min before powering it on.

I have monitored my temperatures across my whole system and that does not seem to be the problem, as during longer gaming sessions it runs perfectly fine and during stress tests it also works perfectly fine, but for example when I am playing CSGO in a low load workshop map it crashes after like 1-3 minutes (not always). After the initial crash which I usually get, there are usually no problems till the next day.

The PC Specs are:
Storage Drives:
  • Samsung SSD 860 Evo 1TB (Windows Boot from this one)
  • ST1000DX002-2DV162
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX500 500 Watt ATX 2.3
GPU: Gigabute GeForce GTX1060 Windforce OC 6GB
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer MSI
System Model MS-7A39
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To be filled by O.E.M.
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor, 3200 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2.60, 28-Apr-17
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer MSI
BaseBoard Product B350M GAMING PRO (MS-7A39)
BaseBoard Version 1.0
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale Netherlands
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.844"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 11.9 GB
Total Virtual Memory 32.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 25.8 GB
Page File Space 16.0 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

I would greately appreciate if I could get some help, thank you!

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor, 3200 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
Motherboard - B350M GAMING PRO (MS-7A39)
RAM - 16gb

what else is in PC?
System info isn't complete, doesn't know Storage drives or PSU make/model

Apr 7, 2021
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor, 3200 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
Motherboard - B350M GAMING PRO (MS-7A39)
RAM - 16gb

what else is in PC?
System info isn't complete, doesn't know Storage drives or PSU make/model

Storage Drives:
  • Samsung SSD 860 Evo 1TB (Windows Boot from this one)
  • ST1000DX002-2DV162

PSU:
-Corsair Builder Series CX500 500 Watt ATX 2.3

GPU:
-Gigabute GeForce GTX1060 Windforce OC 6GB

Colif

Win 11 Master
i hate being blind, i missed you had mentioned PSU in 1st post

have you cleaned out inside PC, cleaned dust? wondering if its heat that causes crashes.

you could run HWINFO logging while playing to see if anything stands out as possible cause
when you open it, click the box next to sensors only and click run
in the following window,
click the icon to right of the clock, that says "logging start" if you hover mouse over it - this opens File explorer and lets you name the log file and put it somewhere you will remember.
if its only random, might need to start it a few times before you crash.
the output is a CSV file, it can be read in Excel or google docs, if you want me to look at results, upload to a file sharing website and show link

Apr 7, 2021
i hate being blind, i missed you had mentioned PSU in 1st post

have you cleaned out inside PC, cleaned dust? wondering if its heat that causes crashes.

you could run HWINFO logging while playing to see if anything stands out as possible cause
when you open it, click the box next to sensors only and click run
in the following window,
click the icon to right of the clock, that says "logging start" if you hover mouse over it - this opens File explorer and lets you name the log file and put it somewhere you will remember.
if its only random, might need to start it a few times before you crash.
the output is a CSV file, it can be read in Excel or google docs, if you want me to look at results, upload to a file sharing website and show link

Hahha dw bout it,
I logged it right before crashing, I can't really spot if anything is wrong so I'll leave it to the pro.
Log while playing CSGO.xlsx

Colif

Win 11 Master
Apr 7, 2021
I already have Samsung Magician and it does not seem to be a storage drive problem, as the problem started occuring way after I got new storage hardware.

Apr 7, 2021
Okay so I did some more trouble shooting myself, and I found my isssue was the PSU.
I opened the PSU on the fan side and cleaned it with pressurised air and a vacuum cleaner (made sure not to touch the transformer or any other components), which fixed it. I think there was some dust somewhere that kept on short ciruiting the PSU or smth but not entirely sure.
For anyone else with this problem, if you don't know what you are doing with the PSU I recommend having someone else with experience clean it as it is dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.